The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot dampers

Nash

I used Sgs to do my wife’s supra and I ordered them on their website, after I had paid and expected to receive the replacements in the post I was still waiting about 5 days later so I gave them a call and they said that I shouldn’t have ordered them on the website as they need to be sent the old units as they reuse the brackets on the ends, weld them to the replacement struts and then return them. They said it should of said that on the website but they were aware of the issue. I sent the old units in and the new ones arrived about a week later. It was a pain not being able to use the boot for a week but the replacements look good and do the job.

Is there anywhere reputable that just sells direct replacements? Are they crazy money from Toyota?

That’s what I wanted but no luck, only option to retain functionality would be to buy a second hand bust set and send them off to SGS.

Thanks for replies everyone, as I will have to send them to SGS can someone explain in detail the removal of them please as I have never done this on a car before.

Easy enough to do, bolts on the boot lid are easy then you need to loosen off the lower plastics then ask someone to hold them away from the body whilst you undo the two bottom bolts on each side. Not difficult just a pain. Have a magnet wand for the one that you will drop no matter how hard you try.

Prop the boot open with a piece of wood cut to size, don’t get your wife to hold it open and tell her it will only be for five minutes, I learnt that one the hard way!

Just bit the bullet and took mine off, easy to do with the plastics just pulled out of the way.

Taking out the little piece where the seatbelt goes through makes it easy to collect the bolts before they fall away into the abyss below.

Just bit the bullet and took mine off, easy to do with the plastics just pulled out of the way.

Taking out the little piece where the seatbelt goes through makes it easy to collect the bolts before they fall away into the abyss below.

Cheers, will give it a go soon.