The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RPS twin plate carbon clutch owners

p3te

Was just after a bit feedback from people that use this clutch, its the latest design twin plate carbon.

Ive had it fitted and have done about 150 mile on it so far, it feels much better than the spec stage3+ i had but its the first multi plate clutch ive used so got nothing to compare to, i know its normal for it to rattle when the clutch pedel is pressed but is it normal to get any sort of juddering and harshness when engaging? Especially when up to temp.

Also when driving normally at slow speeds in higher gear to get vibrations from it? Hard to explain i might have to try and get a video.

I dont know of anyone with one in the north east or id go and have a look to compare

1565812019975_thecarwhisperertcw_3.jpg

When you installed it did you keep the matchmarks aligned? Carbon plates don't like to be misaligned as hard for them to wear to new orientation so can cause some vibrations.

Twin plates will chatter more than your usual single plate clutch. So if you load up the car in a high gear whilst going slowly then it can be normal to hear chatter. Best to go down a gear.

A new carbon clutch is also fairly grabby. Do some more driving on it, after 500-1000 miles you may find that the engagement is easier as everything is bedded in.

When you installed it did you keep the matchmarks aligned? Carbon plates don't like to be misaligned as hard for them to wear to new orientation so can cause some vibrations.

Twin plates will chatter more than your usual single plate clutch. So if you load up the car in a high gear whilst going slowly then it can be normal to hear chatter. Best to go down a gear.

A new carbon clutch is also fairly grabby. Do some more driving on it, after 500-1000 miles you may find that the engagement is easier as everything is bedded in.

To be honest the noise isnt bad at all its silent at idle whick is set at about 1krpm and only a little chatter when the peddle pressed,

I never installed it so cant comment on that, i wouldnt have thought so since it had bright orange markings, ill pop the inspection panel off and check tho

Im hoping the judder calms down once i start putting more miles on it

Not the same as yours, but if it helps I have the RPS triple v3, very little rattle especially compared to the triple plate OS I had in the doluck and mine drives close to stock. No vibrations or harshness, super light pedal more so than the HKS LA twin I had and extremely smooth and streetable. Bedded in for 300 miles town driving and 200 miles on light boost. I can’t fault it, owned two other clutches and driven 15+ supras with various set ups to compare with.

I have been told vibrations occur when a used RPS clutch is split and reinstalled?

Not the same as yours, but if it helps I have the RPS triple v3, very little rattle especially compared to the triple plate OS I had in the doluck and mine drives close to stock. No vibrations or harshness, super light pedal more so than the HKS LA twin I had and extremely smooth and streetable. Bedded in for 300 miles town driving and 200 miles on light boost. I can’t fault it, owned two other clutches and driven 15+ supras with various set ups to compare with.

I have been told vibrations occur when a used RPS clutch is split and reinstalled?

Is the one i have not the latest one? I only got it in may, it was brand new ive done about 200 mile on it its smooth when cold but a bit harsher once its got heat in it, especially reverse, maybe its my transmission?

Heres reverse https://youtu.be/6tCGuZfVloE

Is the one i have not the latest one? I only got it in may, it was brand new ive done about 200 mile on it its smooth when cold but a bit harsher once its got heat in it, especially reverse, maybe its my transmission?

Heres reverse https://youtu.be/6tCGuZfVloE

No I believe you have the latest version being a V3, just mine is a triple and yours is a twin.

From the vid I can see what you mean, mine is not like that? What was the gearbox like on the old clutch? for an RPS V3 I don’t think that’s right comparing it to mine, it should be like stock and I have driven another RPS triple V3 and again was like stock.

The problem is once they come apart they don’t like it and judder once they go back together so making it hard to fault find :(