Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: RPS twin plate carbon clutch owners

  1. #1
    What search button? Club Member p3te's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    England - Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    1,206
    Feedback
    22 (100%)

    RPS twin plate carbon clutch owners

    Was just after a bit feedback from people that use this clutch, its the latest design twin plate carbon.

    Ive had it fitted and have done about 150 mile on it so far, it feels much better than the spec stage3+ i had but its the first multi plate clutch ive used so got nothing to compare to, i know its normal for it to rattle when the clutch pedel is pressed but is it normal to get any sort of juddering and harshness when engaging? Especially when up to temp.

    Also when driving normally at slow speeds in higher gear to get vibrations from it? Hard to explain i might have to try and get a video.

    I dont know of anyone with one in the north east or id go and have a look to compare
    1565812019975_thecarwhisperertcw_3.jpg
    1994 UK Spec TT

    1997 RZ 6 Speed

    1993 Single turbo 6 Speed Aerotop


    http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicga...do=hall&u=9227

  2. #2
    Nice Celica Bro Club Member Mike2JZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    (Top Secret)
    Posts
    2,225
    Feedback
    12 (100%)
    When you installed it did you keep the matchmarks aligned? Carbon plates don't like to be misaligned as hard for them to wear to new orientation so can cause some vibrations.

    Twin plates will chatter more than your usual single plate clutch. So if you load up the car in a high gear whilst going slowly then it can be normal to hear chatter. Best to go down a gear.

    A new carbon clutch is also fairly grabby. Do some more driving on it, after 500-1000 miles you may find that the engagement is easier as everything is bedded in.

  3. #3
    What search button? Club Member p3te's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    England - Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    1,206
    Feedback
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2JZ View Post
    When you installed it did you keep the matchmarks aligned? Carbon plates don't like to be misaligned as hard for them to wear to new orientation so can cause some vibrations.

    Twin plates will chatter more than your usual single plate clutch. So if you load up the car in a high gear whilst going slowly then it can be normal to hear chatter. Best to go down a gear.

    A new carbon clutch is also fairly grabby. Do some more driving on it, after 500-1000 miles you may find that the engagement is easier as everything is bedded in.
    To be honest the noise isnt bad at all its silent at idle whick is set at about 1krpm and only a little chatter when the peddle pressed,

    I never installed it so cant comment on that, i wouldnt have thought so since it had bright orange markings, ill pop the inspection panel off and check tho

    Im hoping the judder calms down once i start putting more miles on it
    1994 UK Spec TT

    1997 RZ 6 Speed

    1993 Single turbo 6 Speed Aerotop


    http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicga...do=hall&u=9227

  4. #4
    Me? Post? Never! Club Member Style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England - Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    2,753
    Feedback
    7 (100%)
    How was the Spec clutch you had? I've just bought the exact same one for my car. Also getting it fitted at the same place you got your RPS fitted as I recognise your car
    '96 SZ-R 6 Speed.
    Whifbitz NA-T
    Project Thread Here

  5. #5
    Posting is my life! Club Member Supraleeturbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    (Top Secret)
    Posts
    5,045
    Feedback
    12 (100%)
    Who fitted it ?
    EL Toro Negro Supra-SRD800S

    Sorry if the spelling is bad, but im spanglish

  6. #6
    What search button? Club Member p3te's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    England - Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    1,206
    Feedback
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Supraleeturbo View Post
    Who fitted it ?
    A local garage
    1994 UK Spec TT

    1997 RZ 6 Speed

    1993 Single turbo 6 Speed Aerotop


    http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicga...do=hall&u=9227

  7. #7
    What search button? Club Member p3te's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    England - Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    1,206
    Feedback
    22 (100%)
    Any northeast owners with this clutch to compare?
    1994 UK Spec TT

    1997 RZ 6 Speed

    1993 Single turbo 6 Speed Aerotop


    http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicga...do=hall&u=9227

  8. #8
    Do Luck owning Club Member Swampy442's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    England - Lincolnshire
    Posts
    14,590
    Feedback
    51 (100%)
    Was there a specific bedding in procedure? The flywheel and the plate above it look a bit off compared to the rest of the clutch parts
    I would gladly pay you £10 to never log onto this forum again, and I am serious. Scott M

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
    I did terrible things to girls I had only just met, and they loved it.

  9. #9
    What search button? Club Member p3te's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    England - Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    1,206
    Feedback
    22 (100%)
    They were brand new in the picture above, bedding in procedure they recommend about 500 mile around town
    1994 UK Spec TT

    1997 RZ 6 Speed

    1993 Single turbo 6 Speed Aerotop


    http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicga...do=hall&u=9227

  10. #10
    Wangan Street Racer Club Member Chingy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    (Top Secret)
    Posts
    2,859
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Not the same as yours, but if it helps I have the RPS triple v3, very little rattle especially compared to the triple plate OS I had in the doluck and mine drives close to stock. No vibrations or harshness, super light pedal more so than the HKS LA twin I had and extremely smooth and streetable. Bedded in for 300 miles town driving and 200 miles on light boost. I can’t fault it, owned two other clutches and driven 15+ supras with various set ups to compare with.

    I have been told vibrations occur when a used RPS clutch is split and reinstalled?

  11. #11
    What search button? Club Member p3te's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    England - Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    1,206
    Feedback
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingy View Post
    Not the same as yours, but if it helps I have the RPS triple v3, very little rattle especially compared to the triple plate OS I had in the doluck and mine drives close to stock. No vibrations or harshness, super light pedal more so than the HKS LA twin I had and extremely smooth and streetable. Bedded in for 300 miles town driving and 200 miles on light boost. I can’t fault it, owned two other clutches and driven 15+ supras with various set ups to compare with.

    I have been told vibrations occur when a used RPS clutch is split and reinstalled?
    Is the one i have not the latest one? I only got it in may, it was brand new ive done about 200 mile on it its smooth when cold but a bit harsher once its got heat in it, especially reverse, maybe its my transmission?

    Heres reverse https://youtu.be/6tCGuZfVloE
    1994 UK Spec TT

    1997 RZ 6 Speed

    1993 Single turbo 6 Speed Aerotop


    http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicga...do=hall&u=9227

  12. #12
    Wangan Street Racer Club Member Chingy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    (Top Secret)
    Posts
    2,859
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by p3te View Post
    Is the one i have not the latest one? I only got it in may, it was brand new ive done about 200 mile on it its smooth when cold but a bit harsher once its got heat in it, especially reverse, maybe its my transmission?

    Heres reverse https://youtu.be/6tCGuZfVloE
    No I believe you have the latest version being a V3, just mine is a triple and yours is a twin.

    From the vid I can see what you mean, mine is not like that? What was the gearbox like on the old clutch? for an RPS V3 I donít think thatís right comparing it to mine, it should be like stock and I have driven another RPS triple V3 and again was like stock.

    The problem is once they come apart they donít like it and judder once they go back together so making it hard to fault find

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •