Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Owning an old supra makes you "green".

Feedback
    15 (100%)
    Doesnt make me green, my daily is a Tdv8 Rangerover

I'm addicted now! Club Member herbiemercman's Avatar
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Hi Scooter and thanks for the link, it shows quite technically that there has been some high tech phillosofers predicting the mathematical certainties and the extrapolation of where we are heading. I also noticed that on the top of his list of possible ways of trying to divert a world famine etc, was a global "Contraception" plan, time will tell, but it seems like it will be a great pity that the world did not follow his predictions back then.
    I take mellonman's point about the all electric car,s pollution level "V" the ICE engine powered cars, however if you look at the worlds sources of pollution, then the change to the electric cars is a "drop in the ocean".

Anyway on a lighter note i like driving my rocket ship and i like a couple of Stellas after i have got back, just a bit of hypocracy. Herbie.

I'm addicted now! Club Member jonc's Avatar
    Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2JZ View Post
    I still daily my single turbo supra. Ecowarriors unite!
    I'm with Mike.

I have mostly used mine as a daily commute. From the OP I am greener than a Prius
    JonC

"living the dream"

Supra VVTI TT Tiptronic
    MGZT 190

Feedback
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by herbiemercman View Post
    it shows quite technically that there has been some high tech phillosofers predicting the mathematical certainties and the extrapolation of where we are heading.
    Did anyone else have to read this sentence five times?
    '97 VVTi Royal Sapphire Pearl Tiptronic BPU

Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Hi Pete, Yes i did, it means the situation is not qulatative, it is a scientific fact, stretched, ( extrapolated), to portray the ultimate outcome.

Perhaps you should close this thread now as i was "tongue in cheek" about doing a doom and gloom thread, but time will tell that this may be an accurate hypothesis.? May be scooter and one or two others may agree. Herbie.

Feedback
    17 (100%)
    It's not spiralled into a green war environmental death match or calling each other Hitler yet so I see no need to lock it?
    '97 VVTi Royal Sapphire Pearl Tiptronic BPU

Feedback
    44 (100%)
    In a nutshell the guy was saying that growth at a certain % means ultimately the planet would get at some point to one of us per sqm. Now in practice it won't but the reasons it won't, ie famine, war, natural disasters will at some point intervene and we will get a balance.....but we are highly unlikely to reign ourselves in before this balance point so will overshoot and pay the price.

1960 3 Billion 1999 6 Billion so doubled in 40 years! So if you make everything we use energy for twice as efficient in 40 years then you'll only have broken even due to the population increase and you even if that was achievable through some not yet known technology it's not like you can endless increase efficiency.

When you consider that a recession is seen as about the worse news we can get as a country, and that a recession is considered as 2 quarters of negative growth (however minor) you can see that zero or negative growth is an unpopular goal/outlook/policy hence the overshoot.

Even if an enlightened country or two decided on some measures it's unlikely that it would make a difference globally? Besides the Chinese did that one child only thing and were totally slated for it as a policy....

I'm not sure what you can do to stop it, but living on an Island with not too harsh a climate, plentiful water and reasonably above sea level we will probably be better off than most!?
    Number 8 ...........doing my best to keep
    Number 9 ........been and gone!
    Number 10 ........on its way

Me? Post? Never! Club Member Annabella's Avatar
    Feedback
    Problem with the Chinese one child policy is it doesn't work with the current financial model as there wouldn't then be enough workers to contribute to society in either a monetary (pay for pensions, NHS etc) or looking after the ageing population, so the the system would go into recession for a long time, which the government/big business would not allow. The Capitalist system of growth only works with expanding population, increased building, increased car production etc etc.

Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Scooter and Annabella, Very good points you make and well put.
    I suggested to Pete that it might be time to let my thread die down but to date it has not fallen into banter and jokularity so may be members can see this is an interesting and unavoidably daunting subject. I was a bit concerned that my initial thread which was light hearted may develop into mockery.
    Changing the subject my beast is running superbly following its replacement cylinder head gasket, it seems like it is quicker than before, may be a plasebo effect, but it was worth the hard work. Herbie.

Me? Post? Never! Club Member Annabella's Avatar
    Feedback
    Its an Ostrich subject.

Feels faster? When your car has been off road for a while, it usually feels like a new one when back in it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12