The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crankshaft pulley/damper

slugger1

Not heard about that before? Misfires are normally all related to the coil packs and clips/loom to the plugs......but I think you've been through some of those?

Yes I've been through all of those! A mate at work had a similar issue with a car they used for racing and suggested that my issue could be related to the crank sensor if the pulley was out of position and it was sending incorrect information back to the ECU. I'm hoping that it is the cause of my misfire as I can get 2 problems solved in one!

Yes I've been through all of those! A mate at work had a similar issue with a car they used for racing and suggested that my issue could be related to the crank sensor if the pulley was out of position and it was sending incorrect information back to the ECU. I'm hoping that it is the cause of my misfire as I can get 2 problems solved in one!

Stupid question but did you replace the plugs aswel as the coil packs and clips? I had a section of cracked porcelain on one of my plugs which was causing a misfire

The crank sensor itself could give issues, not sure of their failure mode. The timing star can give issues but I think that seems to stop running if it comes loose not give intermittent/misfire symptoms.

How bad is the misfire, when does it do it more/less?

The plugs and coil packs have been changed.

- - - Updated - - -

The crank sensor itself could give issues, not sure of their failure mode. The timing star can give issues but I think that seems to stop running if it comes loose not give intermittent/misfire symptoms.

How bad is the misfire, when does it do it more/less?

At idle you can here that it is missing. Under load the car struggles to put the power down and labours.

Could be an ECU failing? Also just double check the timing just to be sure. In my experience with a crank sensor it either works or it doesn't, and when it doesn't work neither does the engine lol

I'm having the timing belt changed at the same time as the crank pulley replacement so I will see how it is after that. I expect it will still be running like crap again!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.