The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fibre glass cills - comando body kit part - inside corrosion?

herbiemercman

Hi Guys, My car was fitted with fiberglass sills from when i bought it and i have never removed them. I am curiouse to know if the metal bodywork beneath them is just as standard? I am asking this as in the 23 years i have had the car i have "Waxoyled" inside all the body panels but never had access to the body work sills cavity. My concern is that this area may have started to corrode as it does have water drain holes at each end of the fiber glass sills, so the metal will be wet for a long time without any air flow to dry it off.

Does anyone know what it is like under the fiberglass sills and if there is a vunerability for the metal inside to corrode.? Herbie.

BEST.PIC.3.JPEG.jpg (871.0 KB)

BEST.PIC.3.JPEG.jpg

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

I was quite lucky in the fact then when i removed my veilside sills that had been on the car for years, the underneath was just a bit grubby.

It had taken the paint off a bit on the sills so i had to have them resprayed. It did have a little surface rust that needed to be treated and removed before spraying because the skirts had rubbed up against the top of the sill, but nothing major at all. You should be able to see really as you open your door. Here are a couple photos if they help you.

After cleaning

IMG_1145.jpg

Before Cleaning

skirts.jpg

After Respray

skirts1.jpgskirts3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I removed the side skirts today and i was hard work removing the 24 off hex head self tapping screws from the nylon nut certs due to corrosion of the screws. However the steel painted sills were like new, just dirty and a little corrosion around the rear wheel air intake frames. where there were holes in the sills you could see where my "Waxoyl" had reached most places on the inside.

The water drain holes at the front and rear of the skirts were almost blocked with mud, not bad when you think they have been on there for 22 years.

Anyway i am happy now as i realized that plastic covering steel that is not ventilated is a corrosion trap. Herbie.

CILLS.NO.SKIRTS (1).jpg (583.3 KB)

CILLS.NO.SKIRTS (2).jpg (675.4 KB)

CILLS.NO.SKIRTS (3).jpg (566.6 KB)

CILLS.NO.SKIRTS  (1).jpg

CILLS.NO.SKIRTS  (2).jpg

CILLS.NO.SKIRTS  (3).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought i would mention that the side skirts were manufactured by the OEM Toyota, they are injection moulded polyester, very strong, the body work has several holes which must have been on their press tool, the holes are fitted with nylon nutsert threaded nylon inserts.

I am not sure what the UK spec cars had as my Brother's TT car had standard steel sills without any of these side skirt location features? Herbie.