The mkiv Supra Owners Club

£35k TT6 JDM

rider

I did view the car it was mint ...and I was very reluctant to pay the 38K..... It was listed for 39500

But the car was really clean! And I was after a white stock car. I wanted the SR3 seats which it didn't have (managed to pick up a set for £1200)...But could have been waiting for this car forever and bite the bullet thinking as prices are rising... I am a bit disappointed with prices in UK to be honest. A quick look on ebay will show that 34 is already top end money (not talking about that predator one lol). But none of the cars there I have any interest in.. But I think generally UK cars would have higher millege, non VVTI models and have been through its fair share of UK winters... I think Jap models are more favourable to go for (for mint cars)

and prices in Jap are still increasing certainly a lot higher now. If I was to import one as clean I think I would be paying close to 40K ... a quick google on goonet shows that.

Be interested to see what prices do in UK in the next yr or so ... maybe US and Jap prices will pull up the UK prices.

You sum it up really, you didn't just want one, more a specific one. It's as clean as they come though, so if you ever come to sell you just need another 'you' to be out there looking. Keep it mint and fewer and fewer ones will be and so again you may benefit. That's the positive slant, the flip side is it's just too much, but that can be levelled at E-types to Honda NSX's! Ultimately you now have a iconic 90's car in great to 'as new' condition as you can expect. There are examples of the same sort of car going for x3 that in the states so it's not like it's globally 'toppy' but it will be interesting to see if the UK gets on board so to speak?

Prices here have recently climbed towards the import prices, but I think we are seeing resistance from potential owners to make the leap compared to other used options. When you push toward £25-30K lot's of serious options open up and I think currently in the UK most eyes are drawn elsewhere. I'm selling one of my Supra's and more than 50% of enquiries are from Europe where I think higher prices have been normal for longer?

I remember when Datsun 240z's were viewed in the same light as Ford Capris - they were almost embarassing (and i had 2 Capris). 240zs can sell for upwards of £60k now (or £200k for the hakosuka engined examples). UK values will increase as supply dwindles, though I doubt they will ever have the same value here as Japanese and US markets.

May be not the US re the LHD RHD issue, but there is a chance of repatriation to Japan if the price differential is too large?

Bottom line no one really knows what will happen longer term as previous old threads showed the majority expected Supra's to continue to depreciate.

the majority expected Supra's to continue to depreciate.

I seem to have bucked the trend. The big surprise to many has been the switch to stock. When I projected that stock car pricing would match and exceed single turbo modified cars there was a whole lot of bile drizzled down on that at the time but its a fact today. As for where prices will head there are projections out there but ownership is about more than the investment, its funding the higher insurance premiums a more valuable asset attracts. That is just an added cost until it comes time to sell.

There are still a few years left in decent Supra inflation so a £40k car today is unlikely to lose money unless classic car values crash which could happen for so many reasons. So best just buy the cars to enjoy the ownership, especially for latecomers to the Supra Mk IV party. Latecomers may be wary of losing money on their investment of £40k but 20 years ago some of us were buying the cars for that money and some when you consider inflation to just enjoy the drive and to hang with depreciation.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.