The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rejuvenating the forum

Branners

Hi folks

I’ve been away for a while, but now have time in my week to get back on the forum so want to get it back to being lively and fun again.

So many people have said they want it to survive so I will do all I can to do that.

First step is a refresh on mods and events orgs, then a forum upgrade and some new traders.

Bit late in the year for events but next year we will do more. And then in 2021 it’s the 20th birthday for the club and like 2010 we will do some special events.

I look forward to getting this all back to where it used to be, but we will need help.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks

I’ve been away for a while, but now have time in my week to get back on the forum so want to get it back to being lively and fun again.

So many people have said they want it to survive so I will do all I can to do that.

First step is a refresh on mods and events orgs, then a forum upgrade and some new traders.

Bit late in the year for events but next year we will do more. And then in 2021 it’s the 20th birthday for the club and like 2010 we will do some special events.

I look forward to getting this all back to where it used to be, but we will need help.

I'm new to Supra ownership, I would love to see it alive and kicking like the old days when I used to lurk on here (when I dreamed of owning a Supra).

I'm in Herts too, so I'm happy to help out if you need an extra hand with anything.

Welcome back :)

As people have said, including me, its nothing to do with forums per se, its just Facebook. So many forums are dying out/have died out because its easier/cheaper to move it all lock stock onto facey

Yeah but we can keep the riffraff out here :D

Welcome back :)

As people have said, including me, its nothing to do with forums per se, its just Facebook. So many forums are dying out/have died out because its easier/cheaper to move it all lock stock onto facey

I just never quite got Facebook to work like a good forum. It’s very linear and chip paper where it’s news one day and never seen again.

The plan is to find a forum that replicates Facebook and insta functionality but keeps the forum approach. Might cost a bit but that’s where new traders come in.

It’s worth a try, if it doesn’t work then we move to facebook and see how that works.

I just never quite got Facebook to work like a good forum. It’s very linear and chip paper where it’s news one day and never seen again.

The plan is to find a forum that replicates Facebook and insta functionality but keeps the forum approach. Might cost a bit but that’s where new traders come in.

It’s worth a try, if it doesn’t work then we move to facebook and see how that works.

And if that doesn’t work we’ll set up shop in a nice pub with a chalk board instead :sly:

facebook is good for events and things like that. but for a base of information and knowledge like we have on here with articles and things. its bad.

Yep, I just never got it to work well using groups or anything else they tried for clubs. I’m not sure about insta either, I use it a lot but it doesn’t help the forum and has poor coverage.

So the forum is how I want to try and do it.

Just need to find one that works. Forum developers dried up as Facebook took over and so forums died and more developers stopped.

If anybody sees a forum that works well then let me know. Needs good search, nice layout, integration to Facebook and insta/snap would be good and a shop built in would be handy.

facebook is good for events and things like that. but for a base of information and knowledge like we have on here with articles and things. its bad.

I agree whole heartedly, look at Club Aristo, place was an absolute gold mine of knowledge, but that went belly up. So sad

Good luck with this, I hope it works out well. I really like the forum, so much info and good advice on here. Don't like or do face/inst etc as said too 'chip paper' and too much nonsense. There's probably nothing I can do to help in any way but if I can I am happy to.

Great to hear some love going back into the forum from the top. The forum is actually the only place I look for parts or recommend new owners to go too. The facebook pages, though are convenient IF you use Facebook, can actually be a hassle muddling through all the repeat type adverts. I like the way the forum allows you to scan through areas without having to see each and every post.

I think Facebook is good for advertising events, but for me and many people I know now, the forum is the much-preferred option. Maybe it's the community :love::love::love:

So great news!

Don't assume that people will post in forums just for the experience. Just like anything else people do, forum participation is tied to perceived value. The community manager's job is to come up with creative ways to provide it.

This is so true. One of the best ways to drive activity is also one of the most basic — reward those for doing so on forum and at forum events. Offering community members rewards for meaningful and active participation may seem basic along the lines of well done - do have a gold star, but it's effective. One of the best ways to do this is by issuing badges to users who receive positive feedback from the community for their efforts, or by giving out special privileges to prolific posters. Simple upvote ability for comments well made other comments in the community. Because people always perceive their own actions as praiseworthy, no one will question why it’s being done.

When lurkers see that there are rewards for being active, they'll be more likely to participate themselves.

The additional benefit to this approach is that it encourages positive, value-added discourse in the forums. This goes a long way towards building a positive community culture that encourages participation even by those who are more reluctant to participate.

All so true. Its simply aspect of human nature, everyone loves an uptick pat on the back or a that's been useful thumbs up. There are some neat aspects on forums where members can tag a thread as useful and informative. The more users, even lurkers do that, then the higher the thread ranks and its highlighted in the list of forum threads ensuring that more traffic is driven to it. Its a positive for any poster if you can see lots of people have actually found your post useful and informative. Shows a poster they haven't been wasting their time. In this forum the only option or opportunity for that is the occasional elevation to a sticky so all archive threads are treated the same meaning the gems and nuggets are then well hidden. That's a shame as this site holds an enormous wealth of know how and information but you do need to dig deep to find it.

It'd be good to actually see an active mod team who are visible, easily contactable and active who can proactively administer the site and ensure proper and civil behaviour of contributors.

Forums live on the posting activity and the more encouragement given to the 1% to maximum 9% of any community who actually bother to post the better, so we can try to move the community nearer to the 9% than the 1%. Its when the activity ebbs away that forums die, no lurkers as there is nothing new to read and advertisers head for the exit. Lurkers are essential for any forum to drive revenue and raise wider awareness of the community, With the current level of active members, hovering around 800, there would seems to be quite some scope to raise the engagement level to get nearer to the best in class for any forum management team of 9% engaged.

This is great news :)

I don’t do Facebook either and never have! So probably miss out on events that only get organised through that!! :rolleyes:

I prefer the forum and hope it does keep going as there is so much info on here it’s helped me out loads over the years of Supra ownership :) like so many others I would imagine. It does seem down on show event stands being organised which is a shame as when I first joined here there were loads and you couldn’t do them all.

Would be good to see new traders on here. I remember back in 2007/2008 this place used to be booming, the classifieds page used to have tons of performance parts for sale each day. Some days you tried to avoid coming on here as you knew you would end up spending money on more Supra parts :p

Over the last few years with the success of facebook and other social media platforms, I most of the time would post my question on there before I would here as I know I would get a reply much quicker

Looking forward to the new updates

Good news. I just hope the new mods clamp down on NA bashing and people slagging off other members cars if it's not to their tastes.

If that continues to happen people will just stop posting like before and it will return to the "mr popular/big spenders " clique until they move on to other marques and then the forum s left dead again.

This is encouraging news.

I've never strayed to facebook either. I'm institutionalised to the forum!

I like the idea of a club shop. Might also be an idea to see if it could come up with a preferential service of stock parts through Toyota themselves. Especially with the heritage brand coming online soon.

I like the idea of a club shop. Might also be an idea to see if it could come up with a preferential service of stock parts through Toyota themselves. Especially with the heritage brand coming online soon.

I wonder if Toyota would be involved with said shop. Definitely worth mentioning it to Toyota surely?

Hi folks

So many people have said they want it to survive so I will do all I can to do

Great branners look forward to it

Great to hear some love going back into the forum from the top. The forum is actually the only place I look for parts or recommend new owners to go too. The facebook pages, though are convenient IF you use Facebook, can actually be a hassle muddling through all the repeat type adverts. I like the way the forum allows you to scan through areas without having to see each and every post.

I think Facebook is good for advertising events, but for me and many people I know now, the forum is the much-preferred option. Maybe it's the community :love::love::love:

So great news!

Agree with the above, I also like the idea of upvoting posts for technical help etc

Forum FTW!