The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Head unit recommendations 2019

tayr

Hi all,

With technology ever changing there is not much on the search function which offers a good option for the current market

I have my jap head unit still in the car, and as nice as it is being bowed and waved to, it would be nice if I had some more options.

At the moment there appears to be some sort of Aerial wires attached to the windscreen so not sure if I should utilise them.

Anyway, I digress

Looking for a modern looking double din head unit that will bit nicely in the supra

Must have:

Sat nav (waze or google maps would be cool)

Spotify either through app or Bluetooth but would like to be able to control it through the HU

Bluetooth for calls and music

DAB would be nice

DVD (so I can watch Tokyo drift while at the drive they)

TV function would be cool but not sure if it’s even possible and if it’s worth it.

I have looked on Halfords etc but I’d rather go off your recommendations than a 45 yo called Paula who says “good” as her review

If you have an iphone one of the carplay stereos will be good for you. Connect your phone uses your 4g for maps/google and Spotify which you can control from the head unit.

Im in the similar situation. I've used carplay before and it's a nice solution i'd like to get in the supra. Theres a few around, take a look here:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/apple-carplay

The alpine model keeps coming down in price because theres a new one but it's tempting - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/apple-carplay/alpine-ilx-700-in-dash-digital-media-receiver-with-apple-carplay-deal-offer

There are also android car ones out there but i've no experience with them.

I just fitted the Pioneer BT2150BT..

Its got apple carplay, but not android auto.

Its the cheapest unit with Carplay.

I very happy with it, sound quality is very good..

With the GZ speaker boxes it sounds like I have a little sub woofer..

Its got DVD, the functions to setup the sound quality is really good as well

You cant go wrong with any of the Pioneer units, ive fitted one in my last 4/5 cars i like them so much. I have the AVH=A3100DAB in the Supra and its a great unit. It has waze on it so i believe will do all of what you want without breaking the bank. I think i paid about 260ish from Halfords. You can also disconnect the annoying electric aerial and use DAB instead.

Thank you for the suggestions guys - gonna go through them all at work tomorrow and see what’s most suitable

Pioneer DA230DAB

Just fitted on in mine and it’s brilliant. Waze is the best sat nav ever and the headunit does everything you could ever want

/QUOTE]

Have you got a pic of this one fitted?

Went with the pioneer as suggest above in the end

Only annoyance is that the big aerial comes up even when not listening to the radio. I guess only way around it is to create a switch?

Don’t mind it being up for the radio but a bit annoying to have it up all the time

• 3 months later...
Went with the pioneer as suggest above in the end

Only annoyance is that the big aerial comes up even when not listening to the radio. I guess only way around it is to create a switch?

Don’t mind it being up for the radio but a bit annoying to have it up all the time

I've just got the same headunit.Can you bypass the handbrake by just earthing the light green wire, and do you need to wire up the power aerial or does it just work when everything's connected up. Going to try and fit it myself, didn't fancy paying £90 for Halfords to do it.Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Iirc i spliced the pink to the antenna areal I can’t remember entirely but it says In the book

I just left the green wire tucked away behind (didn’t wire it to anything)

Halfords would have wrecked your interior trying to figure out how to get to it lol.

You do need a separate harness tho I think

Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I was worried about lol, plus they seemed pretty clueless and unhelpful. I was under the impression that you needed to do something with the light green wire, or you couldn't use some of the features because it's like a safety device.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I was worried about lol, plus they seemed pretty clueless and unhelpful. I was under the impression that you needed to do something with the light green wire, or you couldn't use some of the features because it's like a safety device.

So that’s if you have dvd function or tv which I don’t think this head unit or I had. In which case it was no issue I just tucked it away

Just connect the green wire to the handbrake switch wire. Its already got a scotch lock on it and the handbrake switch wire is in front of you when you lift the gear surround up. 5 minute job.

OK, thanks very much. Do you happen to know if the power aerial will just work off the new HU, or do I need to wire it up. Thanks again.

OK, thanks very much. Do you happen to know if the power aerial will just work off the new HU, or do I need to wire it up. Thanks again.

If its a Pioneer head unit it will work without any wiring needed. As previously said, it does become annoying though as it goes up as soon as you switch the head unit on regardless of listening to the radio or not. Simple solution is just disconnect the power aerial in the boot so that it stays down and just use the DAB if your radio has it? You will need a DAB aerial if so which just plugs in the back of the head unit and sticks on the side of the windscreen inside.

Seriously, the hardest part of installing a head unit is taking the dash apart and then refitting it. You dont even need a loom, its just plugs straight in to the Supra wiring loom.

Yeah it's a pioneer unit. I've read mixed reviews on the windscreen aerials, they seem very hit and miss,so was going to try a splitter, so need to keep my power aerial.If it's no good, will try the windscreen type. Oh right, I thought you needed the pc 17-4-2 harness. Thanks for your help.

I fitted a Pioneer SPH-DA130DAB the other week to replace my older Pioneer head unit.

Great but if kit for the price, DAB works spot on with the window aerial as well which I was pleased about as I had my OEM radio aerial removed and welded a couple of years ago.