The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Post nat - knock sensors ? Help ! ! !

herbiemercman

Hi Guys, Until today rebuilding the engine after me changing the cylinder head gasket i found out what a "Knock Sensor" is, never heard of this item previously.

On the 1996 NA there are two of these on the block just above the starter motor, one of them had been damaged and was not working. I do not know if these things are required to feed the ECU as i do not know if they are covered by the remap?.

On the line the information for every day cars is that the knock sensors are a vital piece of equipment and engine damage and very rough running can be experienced, also the red warning light comes on the dashboard.

Hopefully some one out there can advise me please.

The OEM want over £200 each to replace them and 7 days for delivery, alternatively they are available from China £15 each and 20 days for delivery. Herbie.

Hi Guys, One of the clued up members sent me a PM and pointed out NA or post NAT engines require the two knock sensors, they provide information from a pietzo signal in the component to the ECU, this can affect the timing, fueling, economy, and performance, so it seems to me to be a key component.

When the component is broken or faulty you should get the warning light on the dash display, and some times poor performance or knocking, engine damage is also possible.

I hope this info helps any of you as i have had the car 22 years from new and i had never heard about a knock sensor and what it does.

Finally i would point out that if you are removing the air intake manifold the plastic heads of the two knock sensors are vunrable to be damaged as the detachable plugs are very difficult to pull off to disconnect. I hope you do not get into this situation but if you do this thread should help you. Herbie.