The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chris Wilson Side Mount Intercooler?

1JZGTE

Hello folks, I have a 1JZ Soarer and was wondering if anybody knew whether a Supra SMIC would be a relatively easy swap?

I read here that a standard Supra SMIC would fit a Soarer with minimal mods,

http://thirteenleftprojectsoarer.blogspot.com/2014/05/interesting-read-smic-side-mount.html

Perhaps Chris will see this himself and comment. In an ideal scenario I'd be interested in having a CW Supra SMIC in the Soarer...

:)

I have a Whifbitz SMIC in my supra and there are just abit fatter and more efficient I think. If the soarer can take the extra depth it should be ok with carrying out the little mods mentioned there. Width and height i don’t think there is much difference to the standard supra SMIC

My uprated side mount intercooler is overall exactly the same size as a stock one, and uses modern core technology to effect an improvement. Whilst on the subject I have an order for one to go to the USA to a customer who already has one, but has bought a second MKIV. If anyone is thinking of replacing their IC then now is a good time to grab a better price woth a mini group buy.

If you document minor changes needed I may be able to get them accommodated at build time, depends what's required, the link fails to show images for me.

Anyone still running their original SMIC should seriously consider this offer/option. Its amazing the extra oomph you get from a functioning SMIC over one where the fins have all corroded and powder to the touch; which tends to happen after 20 years.

Anyone still running their original SMIC should seriously consider this offer/option. Its amazing the extra oomph you get from a functioning SMIC over one where the fins have all corroded and powder to the touch; which tends to happen after 20 years.

Agree with this whole heartedly.

There can't be many running original stock ICs now as the fins will be knackered.

Mine is a 98 facelift and when I replaced the SMIC it was knackered.

Chris, would you ever commission a replacement for the diff cooler that the uk cars have in the rear side pods?

Thanks

Sorry if it’s off topic.

No, not unless there was substantial demand, are they no longer available from Toyota? I'd need to have the original rusted pipework formed and probably supply new bracketry, too, the cost would be very high.

No, not unless there was substantial demand, are they no longer available from Toyota? I'd need to have the original rusted pipework formed and probably supply new bracketry, too, the cost would be very high.

I believe they are discontinued, yes.

Thanks for the response, I can see that there wouldn’t also be the same demand as say, the smic.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...