The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1000+ 2JZ build

Supra-love

What compression ratio are you thinking of running? Crappy fuel in the UK means you're kind of limited to 8.5 - 9.0:1 if want to run a good amount of boost. E85 / methanol etc. will obviously help with this but it all depends on how readily available that stuff is to you. 99 RON V-Power over here is like 93 octane in the states in case you're asking Real Street etc. for advice on the subject.

I’ll was going to use flex fuelling, with 99ron Tesco fuelling and running 10CR

Edited by Supra-love (see edit history)

That's quite a higher CR. Suppose the parts can take it? I'd love that compression ratio and I don't even have anywhere near that HP!

Suppose easier to make the HP as well?

What do you plan to rev too mate? I think we all dream of a mental higher rpm motor

That's quite a higher CR. Suppose the parts can take it? I'd love that compression ratio and I don't even have anywhere near that HP!

Suppose easier to make the HP as well?

What do you plan to rev too mate? I think we all dream of a mental higher rpm motor

With that build spec I’ve been advised to run 10CR and would support much higher hps.

Revs will be decided during the build process as we’ve got to remember every 500rpm stresses the engine double. Although with a high spec build it should be absolutely fine to rev higher in the likes of 9k.

Was thinking about this last night and there's just so many factors to consider with the 10:1 compression ratio on UK V-Power. Hopefully an experienced tuner like SRD or Whifbitz can chime in before you build an engine that might not work as you intend. This is just me spit balling really as I've been thinking a lot about what CR to run on the engine I'm building which, albeit, is much milder than your plans. So I may be wrong in my thinking but just something to consider in case I'm along the right liens. It might be a great combo that will work well, I've just not heard of it being done on a UK street car with such a high power goal before :)

NA's are 10:1 stock compression and the most boost we dare run is 1bar, 12psi is pretty much the safe limit on UK V-Power (US 93 octane). Above that, you're seriously running the risk of knock/detonation because of the fuel quality and that's not good news at all. So you may end up with an engine that's limited to 1bar of boost on V-Power with something like a 7675 turbo if you plan on making 1000hp. A big turbo will be laggy but the high CR will wake it up down low and then a low boost limit might leave you making a small amount of power. I was making about 400hp on my 60mm Borg Warner at 12psi to give you an idea. It'll be a different story once you add ethanol of course, but it becomes a case of how easily you can get a hold of it.

I guess there's also the potential to lift the head as well as you ramp the boost up with ethanol at 10:1. You might end up needing 625 or L19 headsuds after all :D

Sounds like something similar has been discussed on supraforums (with Real Street's own car) https://www.supraforums.com/threads/running-93-octane-on-a-10-1-compression-build.702480/

Being as you are going all out, I'd personally buy better than CP pistons.

Chris Wilson commented on these a few years back

''Obviously the less oil is being lost past bearing clearances and through squirters and via oil pump wear on the rotors and housing, the higher the potential pressure. BUT given the flow of the stock pump is more than adequate to run the squirters AND allow as high an oil pressure as needed and more, (and *more* pressure is not usually any benefit), why lose the piston crown oil cooling? Seems someone thought "Let's CNC some cheap parts, sell them for a huge profit", *THEN* trying to think up a raison d'etre for them.''

There you go Style, that's why I texted you the other day not to sell yours ;)

The compression is indeed really interesting. Maybe I need to draw through some build threads and see what CR some of the higher builds have used.

I'm sure the US boys use water meth with stock compression to take it much higher than the typical 400hp us UK guys run on our NAt setups. I bought an aquamist setup just for the occasion. Poor thing never got used!

Thought it would come in handy for pre det protection when I plan for pre spool nitrous.

I don't know anyone above 450hp with stock NA CR.

Thinking to use a max of 9:5:1 Manley pistons now with Manley tuff rods after speaking to lee.

Which was the original thinking anyway, lee is also going to send me his recommendation on how he would build it.

So should be perfect for what I want

Lee is a good guy to speak to :thumbs:

Thinking to use a max of 9:5:1 Manley pistons now with Manley tuff rods after speaking to lee.

Which was the original thinking anyway, lee is also going to send me his recommendation on how he would build it.

So should be perfect for what I want

That sounds a lot more manageable to be honest. If only we had good fuel over here then we wouldn't be having this conversation :D

There you go Style, that's why I texted you the other day not to sell yours ;)

I know, I know :D

My thinking was more along the lines of if I'd had a TT block with them in the first place then I'd have kept them without thinking about it. But having to add them to a block when there seems to be little to no evidence of an engine failure because of their absence sold me on spending the money elsewhere :)

removing the factory oil squirters we increase oil pressure which can greatly benefit bearing life. On short run vehicles or motors with billet pistons, cooling effects from oil squirters are minimal, whereas bearing life becomes critical.

$151 for the set.

Nothing wrong in keeping the squirters as has already been mentioned, my fully built engine is is running a new stock pump with squirters with at least 3 bar oil pressure at idle.

Nothing wrong in keeping the squirters as has already been mentioned, my fully built engine is is running a new stock pump with squirters with at least 3 bar oil pressure at idle.

Thanks buddy. Good to know. What power you running. I wanted to stay with a oem oil pump really. But quite a few have mentioned the uprated ones.