The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam cover oil leak?

Johnm400

Easiest way to tell is to take the cam covers off and check the rubber gaskets. If they feel brittle and like plastic then usually the cause for oil to leak through.

SRD/Whifbitz etc will stock these.

Yeah its not a 5 minute job on N/A though with all the throttle body and inlet in the way. Might as well just put a new gasket on anyway if im going to take it off. I dont think theres anywhere else the leak could be coming from although when i first saw the drips on the floor of the garage my heart skipped a beat thinking rear crank seal but after checking its all wet above the gearbox. Might be an idea to get a small mirror so i can see behind.

Yeah its not a 5 minute job on N/A though with all the throttle body and inlet in the way. Might as well just put a new gasket on anyway if im going to take it off. I dont think theres anywhere else the leak could be coming from although when i first saw the drips on the floor of the garage my heart skipped a beat thinking rear crank seal but after checking its all wet above the gearbox. Might be an idea to get a small mirror so i can see behind.

Yeah thats a good 30 minute job there taking off the inlet. Most NA's I see suffer from this issue, its rather common. So probably that.

Common on the NA. Crappy design by toyota to and the bolts eaily come loose. So retorque them after a drive. Dont forget some silicone at the front corners of the cams to

Yeah same as the MK2 MR2. The bolts used to work loose on those. Usually tightening them would fix the leak but on the Supra, the bolts seemed tight enough. I did manage to get a small nip on them but obviously they are not supposed to be too tight.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh wasnt sure if they were different. I have a set of rubber washers for ontop too.

/QUOTE]

Let me check with a mirror to see if its the washers or gasket or both and ill get back to you Andy.

The problem often isn't he gaskets, its the washers. Toyota used a plastic filled metal cap as a washer, the plastic breaks down and you lose your clamping force. Solution, new washers.

If its the washers, that would be much easier as i wouldnt have to take all the inlet off. Cheers, ill have another look tomorrow.