The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another NA-TT Question.

RonnDing

Hi,

Some background

About a year ago i decided to swap out the SR20 in my S14 for a 2JZ. The guy i was buying the engine from also had a v161 which he offered me so i decided to take it as well, thinking i could hold on to it for a while and maybe use it or sell it later. Then i decided to go a different route with the s14 so i found myself with a 2jz gte and v161.

So naturally i decided to look for a supra. At first i was looking at N/A Autos but quickly decided that it would be easier to start with a manual. After a few months i picked a good condition NA Supra.

It already has the front brakes upgraded.

Now I've read through many posts of people saying its not worth it, just buy a TT6 and be done. Reasons i don't want to do that.

Already have the following parts:

Non VVTi 2JZ GTE With loom

6 Speed Gearbox v161

Link G4 Supralink

Greedy intercooler (from other project)

Large radiator with electric fans(from other project)

Complete Subframe from twin turbo supra including diff (lsd) , driveshafts, etc

Igniter from twin turbo supra

Tach from twin turbo supra

Twinplate clutch including throw out bearing

Two Bride seats with jza80 seatrails

Walbro 255 fuel pump

Now i know i could just start selling this stuff and buy a tt6 but besides having these parts i really enjoy building cars, the NA5 also is in really good condition and in a rare color. Plus i travel for work often so i dont really want the hassle of trying to sell parts from abroad.

So i have used the search bar on here and it did produce lots of helpful information but i still find myself with some questions.

First any modifications required to the harness going from a w58 to a v161? are the plugs the same? can i just plug in it and it will work?

I believe there is an issue with the tachometer unless you get a tt6 one, which i did , however is there also any issues with the speedometer?

I have an igniter from a twin turbo but if i decide to delete it with different coils does that effect the tacho? And if so what is the solution?

In one of the stickys it said you need the throttle control ecu but ive read that you dont need it unless you want traction control which i dont. Is this true and if i dont plug it in do i get any warning lights?

Ive seen posts where people say you need the relay for the fuel pump and other posts that say you dont, just want to know if there is any modifications to the fuel system , i have a 255 spare if required but more interested in the wiring side. no hassle if i have to wire in a fuel pump switch.

Parts i don't have yet:

Intercooler piping

Exhaust

If anyone has done this swap , any information would be greatly appreciated. I read many auto to manual swaps and na to turbo but cant find information on this particular swap. If ive missed anything or any parts please let me know.

Cheers

Edited by RonnDing (see edit history)

Hi,

Some background

About a year ago i decided to swap out the SR20 in my S14 for a 2JZ. The guy i was buying the engine from also had a v161 which he offered me so i decided to take it as well, thinking i could hold on to it for a while and maybe use it or sell it later. Then i decided to go a different route with the s14 so i found myself with a 2jz gte and v161.

So naturally i decided to look for a supra. At first i was looking at N/A Autos but quickly decided that it would be easier to start with a manual. After a few months i picked a good condition 80k 98 NA Supra.

It already has the front brakes upgraded.

Now I've read through many posts of people saying its not worth it, just buy a TT6 and be done. Reasons i don't want to do that.

Already have the following parts:

Non VVTi 2JZ GTE With loom

6 Speed Gearbox v161

Link G4 Supralink

Greedy intercooler (from other project)

Large radiator with electric fans(from other project)

Complete Subframe from twin turbo supra including diff (lsd) , driveshafts, etc

Igniter from twin turbo supra

Tach from twin turbo supra

Twinplate clutch including throw out bearing

Two Bride seats with jza80 seatrails

Walbro 255 fuel pump

Now i know i could just start selling this stuff and buy a tt6 but besides having these parts i really enjoy building cars, the NA5 also is in really good condition and in a rare color. Plus i travel for work often so i dont really want the hassle of trying to sell parts from abroad.

So i have used the search bar on here and it did produce lots of helpful information but i still find myself with some questions.

First any modifications required to the harness going from a w58 to a v161? are the plugs the same? can i just plug in it and it will work?

I believe there is an issue with the tachometer unless you get a tt6 one, which i did , however is there also any issues with the speedometer?

I have an igniter from a twin turbo but if i decide to delete it with different coils does that effect the tacho? And if so what is the solution?

In one of the stickys it said you need the throttle control ecu but ive read that you dont need it unless you want traction control which i dont. Is this true and if i dont plug it in do i get any warning lights?

Ive seen posts where people say you need the relay for the fuel pump and other posts that say you dont, just want to know if there is any modifications to the fuel pump required , i have a 255 spare if required buy more interested in the wiring side. no hassle if i have to wire in a fuel pump switch.

Parts i don't have yet:

Intercooler piping

Exhaust

If anyone has done this swap , any information would be greatly appreciated. I read many auto to manual swaps and na to turbo but cant find information on this particular swap. If ive missed anything or any parts please let me know.

Cheers

Hi welcome to the forum.

To be honest sounds like you have most of the major components needed to convert the NA5 to a TT6 without much aggro. I'd agree that you should give building it a go.

First any modifications required to the harness going from a w58 to a v161? are the plugs the same? can i just plug in it and it will work

Assuming you are using a TT6 engine loom then there are no modifications required. The loom will have the correct plugs to go straight into the V160.

If you are using an Auto Twin turbo loom, then you will need to modify a few wires to get the loom to work with a V160. Luckily you already have the connectors you need on your NA5 loom, so you could take them from that. You will need to play with a total of 7 wires, so nothing crazy.

I believe there is an issue with the tachometer unless you get a tt6 one, which i did , however is there also any issues with the speedometertach

The NA tach signal is a "low" signal, whilst the TT tach signal is "high". You can bypass a resistor on the NA tach to get it to read "high" signals when you convert to TT.

Otherwise you can take a TT6 tacho and will work with no modifications.

The biggest issue with using a NA speedo with a TT6 drivetrain is that the clock will be calibrated for a different differential final drive. So your speedo will read higher or lower then the speed you are actually doing.

TT6 speedo would be the best plug and play solution, but even these can be innacurate when you run larger tyres than what the factory configured the speedo for.

Luckily, I see on your list you will be using a Link ECU. I always run the gearbox speed signal through the Link ECU, before outputting to the speedo cluster. This allows you to tune the signal for whatever gearbox/tyre size/diff final drive you may be rolling with. So this allows you to run a NA speedo with whatever you like.

On the stock ECU setup deleting the coils is possible, however you have to keep a number of igniter circuits happy otherwise you get put in a limp mode with lots of error codes. Depending on what coils you are running, this ranges from moderately difficult to absolute ballach.

Luckily if you plan to run the Link the Tacho signal is generated by the ECU as it reads the Crank/Cam signals before outputting to Tacho cluster, rather than relying on an igniter to give the signal. This makes coil swaps a walk in the park.

On a stock ecu setup you can run without the throttle control ECU, but this disables the TRAC system and will have a few warning lights unless you pull the bulbs out. Aside from the lights, the car will technically run fine.

Again, if you go to a Link ECU this all becomes redundant and you can throw away your TRAC ecu with no fears.

Ive seen posts where people say you need the relay for the fuel pump and other posts that say you dont, just want to know if there is any modifications to the fuel pump required , i have a 255 spare if required buy more interested in the wiring side. no hassle if i have to wire in a fuel pump switch.

On a stock ECU, maybe at BPU level there is no need for a 12v relay conversion as the fuel pump ECU is adequate. However when going for more power, the fuel pump ECU can sometimes be hard to interface with using a standalone ECU. Or in some cases just can't deliver the same amount of juice that a relay connected directly to battery can.

I wouldnt worry unless you go down the standalone route. In which case, depending how adventurous you are feeling with wiring and tuning you could try to get stock fuel pump ecu to work. Personally I always use a relay thats hooked directly battery. I like to get the flow out of my pumps using 13.5v or higher, unlike the stock pump ecu that can only output 12v.

1. Take out 2JZGE & gearbox in one go with wiring looms attached. Throw in garbage (jk keep the shortblock)

2. Drop your old diff & driveshafts. Install TT6 replacements. Don't forget to install second diff bush whilst everything is out.

3. Fit V160 & GTE wiring loom to 2JZGTE engine. Do the reverse and install into car. Marvel how everything just fits and is plug and play.

4. Figure out installing stuff like intercooler, exhaust etc.

5. Plug your link into stock wiring loom. Wire in a Link map sensor. Connect to ECU, load 2JZGTE base map from Link. Start car and take to tuners.

Thats obviously quite high level, but process is as simple as that if you have all the right bits.

If you have any more questions regarding specifics of the swap process then I can try to respond.

Edited by Mike2JZ (see edit history)

If you have a 98 NA Manual then it should be a V161 as standard, what does your vin plate have on it? I know that there was a bit of mixing and matching going on in 1996/1997 cars but a 98 should be a V161.

Also if you are in Glasgow again, drop me a line and you can meet some of the other Supra lot as we meet now and again. :)

Hi SPG,

I was under the impression the J spec Na came with a w58 5 speed from April 1993 – August 2002 and it was only the SZ-R Edition that came with the 6 speed manual.

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

Btw ill be over in Scotland in October/November time for a week or so.

Edited by RonnDing (see edit history)