The mkiv Supra Owners Club

264/268 Cams

nicky

Isn't it just inlet side that restricts you? exhaust side im sure is fine for 272s?

I’m not sure on that, I’ve seen people have a 256/264 setup. 264/264 works well and that’s what we have and is probably the most common. I don’t think it will be as simple as dropping a set of 272 cams in and away you go. Hopefully someone with a better understanding will come along shortly.

What's your goals for these cams? A big cam like that is going to shift your power band to the right and if you're still on a stock head, you'll be limited to the 7000rpm region. So you may be minimizing your power band, unless your car is already dropping off before reaching peak rpm?

You might also end up with an interference engine as well with a 272 cam, a lot more expensive if your timing belt goes. Seems to be a bit vague on where the crossover is as there's a lot to consider.

Chris's advice is spot on really. Sounds like you'll be fine with some milder 262 or 264's

Generally speaking a mild 264 cam will not put as much strain on your stock valvetrain, but it isn't advisable to be running more than 7500 on stock springs for extended periods. Considering most 264's will help your mid range power rather than pure top end, it is acceptable to run them without changing anything.

That said, you can get 264 cams with lift as high as 9.5mm or more. This will put you on the border of being an interference engine and the aggressive lift will put more strain on stock springs. In this situation, new springs and retainers are advisable, especially if you want to increase RPM limit. If you want to run stock springs, I'd shoot for a cam that has a lift somewhere between 8.6-9.0mm to play it safe.

Technically you could run a set of 272's on stock springs. The problem you will get is that the extra load on the springs will expose any fatigue they might have faced after 20+ years. This can increase your chance of experiencing valve float at higher rpm's which will net you performance loses and possibly leading to valve/piston contact depending on how you intend on abusing the motor. Given that most 272's are going to be borderline or full interference, better to not take the risk and upgrade springs at the same time.

The argument of staggered cams verses non staggered is a thread on it's own. But usually a non staggered setup is more than adequate for most people out there.

Edit: I'd personally only bother with 272 cams if you have a built bottom end, large turbo and are expecting to rev to a minimum of 8k. Otherwise 264 will be competitive on performance gains until that point. 272's do sound the bollock on idle though, so I understand if thats the main motivation :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.