The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra hardtop v160 twin turbo, single turbo conversion and complete car overhaul

Andy Ven

What mileage did you have on your pistons? And what boost amount? Seems strange for it to break on the oil seal ring rather than the first two compression rings

/QUOTE]

130,000 miles, external wastegate spring boost pressure, so around 0.8 bar.

It was a little strange for it to go there but I was planning a refresh this winter anyway, so it just bought it forward a little. Decided to go fully forged as it will be good for many years to come, and over the past 15 years with these cars I've seen many people pay cheap and pay twice. I've also learnt and swear by with my car 'Do it right, do it once'.

I wish you luck though mate, and it's always good to make your own judgements on things and go your own way, I do all the time. But on this occasion I think we are of two different ways of seeing things when it comes to an engine build I'm afraid mate. The cost is insignificant for me compared to the peace of mind.

The problem is where do you stop. Upgrade the crank? New cam retainer bolts? New valves? Thats my problem. Its either do some small bits (rods, near bearings) or go all out and replace everything and look at doing a 1500hp-2000hp build. For the extra that it costs over just an upgrade to 1200hp, it makes sense

So, ive been back in the garage doing some late evenings. Full bottom sump has been cleaned up and assembled. Very happy with the results. Just the bottom timing gear to fit to the crank and time the engine up.

I also stripped the oil pump to give it a check over and everything seemed spot on. Also meant i could walnut blast the outer face of it to make it look like new again.

I have just purchased a big industrial hydrovane compressor to help with all the blasting in my new cabinet. 400L tank including another separate tank i purchased. Should mean alot more blasting without the waiting for it to charge up. Perfect for all the suspension and chassis parts! image

imageimageimageimage

Just seen this thread.

An interesting read, please keep the updates coming

Cheers matt, will keep everyone up to date on the progress. Progress Will slow down when the engine is complete as i need to finish building my house so i can move in [emoji28]

The problem is where do you stop. Upgrade the crank? New cam retainer bolts? New valves? Thats my problem. Its either do some small bits (rods, near bearings) or go all out and replace everything and look at doing a 1500hp-2000hp build. For the extra that it costs over just an upgrade to 1200hp, it makes sense

/QUOTE]

I guess it just comes down to common sense, you set a power goal and build the engine to achieve it, with also longevity in mind, along with 'belt and braces' approach.

• 1 month later...

Morning guys,

So progress has been slow. Alot going on and ive been trying to sort my new compressor out. Without that i cant blast my remaining parts.

Anyway, so i got round to fitting the an10 fittings to the cam covers. I didnt weld these in because of trying not to heat up and distort the covers themselves. So i drilled and tapped them out and machined some threaded fittings to go in.

The new gsc s1 cams have been dti’d in to the bottom end, set to the correct degrees to get maximum performance. This was a fairly easy job, but required some making of new tools.

I have ordered a brand new oem toyota damper pulley. Managed to get one for £187 which isnt too bad.

Ecu.. has finally arrived from australia!!! I went with the link thunder in the end. I was tempted to get the supra link. The one made for the supra, however i will be building my own loom so it made sense to buy the thunder. The thunder can run a traction control system unlike the supra link because of the amount of teeth on the driveshafts.

In total the new ecu, with full 2.5m pre wired connectors set me back £1700 delivered. Which is a big saving of around £500 maybe more on uk prices.

I also picked up a walbro 450lph pump off one of the guys off the forum. This should easily flow the amount of fuel i require!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Keep up the great work, can’t wait to see the finished car with all the effort you’re putting in.

Don’t forget I keep stumbling across bits and bobs, so give me a shout.

/QUOTE]

I will give you a shout and pop down soon. Shame i cant bring the car with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get some great bargains from Aussie with a fairly favourable exchange rate just now, nice work!

I got my oil pump and crank/cam sensor kit from over there and even after your VAT etc. it seems to have saved me a fair wedge over prices I see for parts in the UK

• 7 months later...