The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hyundai's new Continuously Variable Valve Duration

Pete

Interesting how much development is still going into ICE when EV is seemingly all the rage (Pistonheads threads influencing me here).

It 'almost' seems like this could be the ideal answer to emissions calcs vs performance almost like a legit work around the co2 test? Cycnical maybe but it opens up efficiency gains whilst retaining some get up and go. If my understanding here is that it's like having a supra with standard cams 1-2000 rpm then 264's 2000-4000 then 272's 4000 up (or yes infinitely variable but you get my point) ? So it'd idle like stock but free up power high in the rev range.

Hey I'm with you but its being pushed by legislation etc etc and has an air of inevitability...........probably just a long time scale and I spose this tech is great for a hybrid anyway.

Yeh despite electric cars making up only 1%of new car sales manufacturers are now starting to throw millions at development,our own Jaguar late to the party.Until range is ramped up and charging points are everywhere it's a tough sell ,but it will come.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all about the charging points. Our government has put naff all into the infrastructure - but then I suspect they're petrified about loosing so much fuel tax.

Hence why they've started putting 20% VAT on renewable energy installs and left fossil fuel installs at 5%.

Ridiculous backwards thinking money grabbing a$$holes.