The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New setup advice, 800whp

bayside_supra

It’s my weekend car so miles are low. But I have never scrimped on anything on this car so I am unlikely to start now.

What are the few crucial parts though? Let’s say I don’t go mad with the revs and keep them to 7500rpm

/QUOTE]

Have a chat with Russ Oldfield who resides state side at Real Street. Real Street sell packages for specific HP targets, tried and tested many times over and over again with great results. They will offer decent discounts and their customer service is second to none. His email is [email protected]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You either have the car built to take the power or do not , you are asking "if I restrict the rev limit" , absolute nonsense ; just plagiarise somebodies Dyno sheet, tell everybody you have 1500hp ...

Real Street will recommend you to use Billet main caps or any reputable shop, making the power and longevity of your engine under that power , are two different things

You car is 1993 , 26 going on 27 years old, the days of throwing power at these engines with the expectation of longevity is long gone; needs a full refresh, the factory crank pushes down on the caps often leading to stress fractures and cracks.High cylinder pressures will often overcome the strength of the caps and stretch the bolts, causing the main caps to "walk" and actually bounce on the block's mating surfaces, eventually damaging the contact area. This can, in turn, loosen the main bearings in their saddles to the point where the engine loses oil pressure or the bearings spin.

When a main cap fails , you will literally scrap your block, pistons, rods, bearings , crank, most likely some head components for good measure..at 1k hp you are pushing the engine to see when it will fail , not if it will fail

A nice read

https://www.realstreetperformance.com/blog/2jz-billet-main-caps/

It is natural for you fall into the trap of thinking “well how much power can i make before having to spend the money on billet main caps and installation?”. We can’t even count how many people have expressed their lack of enthusiasm regarding spending money on main caps. We have heard every justification in the book. “My buddy knows a guy that is making xxxx whp on stock main caps.” or “I heard the stock main caps fail at 982whp. I only want to make 981whp.”

I wonder who that sounds like

Haahah [emoji23][emoji23] those US ones are a different breed. Must be the air over there

/QUOTE]

The US Supra is akin to the UK Supra, quite a bit of difference to a Jspec. But, in the USA the main difference being the steering wheel is on the wrong side making them quite a rare offering. Probably only 20% of Supras ever built are LHD as the bulk were sold into the domestic Japan RHD marketplace.

I'm surprised that people still want to spend strong money to boost their Supra's, a 30 year old car design but that's just very much a personal viewpoint. Unless there are no cheaper options out there to get where you need to go which presumably has to be a yearning to get to Santa Pod and deliver a good time.