The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ceramic coating?

RobAce

I've used Gyeon Can coat on my Golf, very easy to use.. Excellent shine.

Got 6 months out if it, and it doesnt have any cover, exposed to the elements all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

I've used Gyeon Can coat on my Golf, very easy to use.. Excellent shine.

Got 6 months out if it, and it doesnt have any cover, exposed to the elements all the time.

The new Autofinese Caramic set is meant for ease of application. Because of that it's not a ceramic in a true sense of the word but from what i've read it seems great.

https://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/waxes-and-sealants/caramics

My supra currently is ceramic coated but it was done at the detailer like any top ceramic should be IMO. It has Feynlab. IMO it's fantastic. It's been applied for over 2 years now and still beads water like you wouldn't believe.

Applying a run of the mill ceramic is fairly easy to do. The problem is usually when you apply it over less than perfect paint or paint that has not been properly prepped. Ceramics are really like an ultra thin layer of glass and if there are any holograms or swirls in the paint, the ceramic layer acts like a lens and magnifies the paint defects in the sun.

I have been using them on and off for over 10 years but id never apply one to my own car as i enjoy polishing and waxing it. Once its ceramic coated, thats it, its just a wash with a pure shampoo and a spray 'booster' product every now and then.

To be honest, there are now non ceramic products that give almost as good water beading as a ceramic and can be applied in 5 minutes at the rinse stage of the washing process, you just have to apply them every month or so to keep them working at optimal performance but since they take 5 minutes to apply, its no big problem. Products such as Autosmarts new Aquaseal Pro are simply foamed on, allowed to dwell for 2 minutes and then rinsed off giving great water beading and gloss.

The only place i now use ceramics is on wheels as they really do make them easier to clean although the alternative non ceramics products also work to make cleaning easier.

The other thing to factor in is the colour of the car. Ceramics give a glassy appearance like the car is wrapped in glass (as you would expect) which IMO does not suit dark colours such as reds and blacks, which benefit from an nice oily wax to make the colour richer (redder/blacker). Silvers/Whites and lighter colours suit ceramics more than waxes as they benefit from the bright reflective nature of the ceramic but thats just my personal opinion.

The last thing to think about is protection. Beading water does not equal all out protection. Vehicles come into contact with all sorts of road films and dirt which can be acidic or alkaline in nature. Ceramics do not completely protect against bird droppings for example and if left on the surface, it will eat straight through the ceramic coating. Even a very weak acid or alkaline can do damage to the ceramic coating if left long enough to dwell, especially in the sun/heat. So whilst they give awesome water beading properties, it does not always equal protection from anything other than water. There are actually some polymer products out there that do not bead water that great but actually do protect the paint fairly well from a variety of contaminants.

The other thing to factor in is the colour of the car. Ceramics give a glassy appearance like the car is wrapped in glass (as you would expect) which IMO does not suit dark colours such as reds and blacks, which benefit from an nice oily wax to make the colour richer (redder/blacker). Silvers/Whites and lighter colours suit ceramics more than waxes as they benefit from the bright reflective nature of the ceramic but thats just my personal opinion.

Agree 100%.. My Supra is black and is parked in a garage, I still use wax on it, Swissvax Onyx to be specific. That deep gloss is something a ceramic cannot rival..

Also like the Polish Angel rapid wax.

My Golf is white and lives outside, the ceramic did wonders for the shine and protection against general dirt.

Agree 100%.. My Supra is black and is parked in a garage, I still use wax on it, Swissvax Onyx to be specific. That deep gloss is something a ceramic cannot rival..

Also like the Polish Angel rapid wax.

My Golf is white and lives outside, the ceramic did wonders for the shine and protection against general dirt.

Yeah, i really do like the Swissvax waxes. I used to have Best Of Show which gives a beautiful rich wet look but its only marginally better than Onyx so if i was buying again, id go with Onyx which is much cheaper and still gives a lovely look.