The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Central locking issue

tayr

Hi guys need a bit of advice

Car won’t lock using the keyfob. Even when I put the key in the door it only locks the drivers side but not the passenger side at the same time

It unlocks fine on the button but the locks don’t engage when trying to lock it

Any ideas? I’d of thought if it was the module it wouldn’t unlock fine?

I rang Toad thinking it might have been toad related but they said it’s not as it doesn’t work using the central locking supra key either

Maybe your car is an outside car, open to the elements? I had a problem with my central locking 16 years ago a week or so after period when there had been several weeks of really heavy rain. The fob and internal switch would unlock but not lock so I could let myself in but I'd need to lock the car with the key in the door lock. It fixed itself after a few months and has been fine for the last 15 years. I figured that had nothing to do with the c/l module under the passenger seat but was due to the unusually heavy rain that occurred just before the self fixing fault.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Maybe your car is an outside car, open to the elements? I had a problem with my central locking 16 years ago a week or so after period when there had been several weeks of really heavy rain. The fob and internal switch would unlock but not lock so I could let myself in but I'd need to lock the car with the key in the door lock. It fixed itself after a few months and has been fine for the last 15 years. I figured that had nothing to do with the c/l module under the passenger seat but was due to the unusually heavy rain that occurred just before the self fixing fault.

Fingers crossed it’s this mate. Weather has been absolutely pants past couple weeks so maybe it will sort itself out.

I wonder where the moisture gets in from though? Seepage through the cowl area maybe?

Come to think of it when I washed it the other day I did hear what I thought was a loud constant dripping sound behind the passenger wing which I hadn’t heard before. Maybe it was an electrical clicking instead.

Edited by tayr (see edit history)

I wasn't so lucky. It's under the passenger airvent meaning you need to take out both gloveboxes and some of the ventilation pipework. After removing this it;s still a pain to get to. Good luck and also prefacelift and facelift are interchangeable.

I had this issue when I first got my car (The weather was awful for the first couple weeks) It sorted itself out but as a preventative measure I stuffed one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pingi-Dehumidifer-Car-Home-Multicolor/dp/B00I3VKBJS

In the space next to the module after taking the glove boxes out, I have no idea if it helped but I’ve had no issues since, all the way through last winter

Don’t want to jinx it but may have fixed the issue

I was wondering whether there was an open circuit somewhere which meant it would unlock but not lock

As id had the bonnet open recently with trickle charger on I thought maybe it was the bonnet sensor (the one where the alarm goes off if the bonnet opens. I sprayed a little bit of wd40 on it and pressed the sensor a few times and it seems to work every time again.

• 6 months later...

Mines been playing up for a few weeks. Using either alarm keyfob or key, it will unlock both doors, then lock both doors straight away. Alarm keyfob turns off alarm ok, just don't get a chance to open door unless using the key.

I think I have a sticky switch on one of the door keylocks according to the electrical diagram, going to take the door cards off and disconnect the switches and see if thast helps. I already bought a spare module and door motor locks :)

Have you been doing short journeys lately? Sometimes a full battery charge sorts it out

Not driven it since early November when it started playing up, and that was a long drive to Fuel Coffee House in Sussex. I washed it the night before and its been a problem ever since which makes me think its the switches on the key lock.