The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for Manifold Recommendations to fit T4 Divided P6466 Turbo

Sheefa

Hi all

I have an older PHR manifold fitted and it's been awesome but generates a ridiculous amount of heat. I'm upgrading my oil cooler to either a 25 row or 40 row dependent on room behind bumper.

I'm also looking to change the Manifold for a modern and cooler operating version, has to be a T4 Divided I believe as I run a Precision 6466 Turbo with Twin Wastegates.

Any recommendations out there please? I will look to get it Zirocoated too.

Thanks

Greg

What oil temps are you seeing?

You could look at the SRD manifold, but I don't see how a different manifold is going to drastically drop your oil temps tbh.

Zircotec coating will cut down on engine bay heat, but again not reduce your oil temps as far as I can see, and it's over £1000 to do.

Both the above will probably see you touching £3k - £3.5k I bet.

Fit the larger oil cooler and monitor your temps, it's a big ass turbo so you will generate a lot of heat, that's the nature of the beast, and physics mate!

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

What oil temps are you seeing?

You could look at the SRD manifold, but I don't see how a different manifold is going to drastically drop your oil temps tbh.

Zircotec coating will cut down on engine bay heat, but again not reduce your oil temps as far as I can see, and it's over £1000 to do.

Both the above will probably see you touching £3k - £3.5k I bet.

Fit the larger oil cooler and monitor your temps, it's a big ass turbo so you will generate a lot of heat, that's the nature of the beast, and physics mate!

Seeing about 110 degree mate and around 125 if really pushing it. Sensor is mounted in hottest location I believe. I know a bigger cooler will help.

The PHR cast manifold definitely develops a ridiculous amount of heat. I had a quote to have it Zirocoated and it was about £540. It's not just about oil temps I want to cool down overall heat in the bay so might look at ducting or a custom extraction fan.

Seeing about 110 degree mate and around 125 if really pushing it. Sensor is mounted in hottest location I believe. I know a bigger cooler will help.

The PHR cast manifold definitely develops a ridiculous amount of heat. I had a quote to have it Zirocoated and it was about £540. It's not just about oil temps I want to cool down overall heat in the bay so might look at ducting or a custom extraction fan.

/QUOTE]

Ah I forgot you have a log manifold mate sorry. Moving over to a tubular manifold is only going to generate more engine bay heat. Also the zircotec coating on a tubular manifold that a member had done was over £1000.

Sounds like your sensor is over reading because it's in a high temp area and heat soaking. Move the sensor down into the sump mate, and yes the cooler will be the biggest help.

I wouldn't worry how hot it get's under the bonnet if your engine oil temps are lower with the sensor being in the correct place.

How does a manifold expell more heat than another if the gas temps are reasonable mate.

Without comparing tube thickness or tube vs log.

How could purely two different designs with the same materials be hotter.

Just curious mate. I'd have thought good exhaust gas temps would have shown if manifold contributed to heat.

Do you log any temps?

It's not a log manifold gents it is an older Tubular Cast Manifold made by PowerHouse Racing. I can't remember where it was but I read a brilliant article about different materials and heat generation on various manifolds made of differing materials. My turbo has a heat DEI blanket and the downpipe is wrapped too so I can't really do much more there.

My bay gets ridiculously hot, like even the strut tops are nuclear. No issue as the water and oil temps remain constant but there must be a way to reduce overall heat in the bay and I was thinking the manifold was likely the root cause of excessive heat.

Thanks

How does a manifold expell more heat than another if the gas temps are reasonable mate.

Without comparing tube thickness or tube vs log.

How could purely two different designs with the same materials be hotter.

Just curious mate. I'd have thought good exhaust gas temps would have shown if manifold contributed to heat.

Do you log any temps?

Some designs could offer greater resistance and poorer flow than others, which would generate much more heat in the manifold.

Presumably increasing the diameter and reducing the angle of the downpipe after the turbo would also net a reduction in EGT, further decreasing engine bay temps? You would also gain a faster spooling turbo and a little more power I would have thought.

Interesting thread.

I can see the tube design making an impact.

If you have mega heat temps. Maybe worth measuring using an IR sensor the manifold itself. To see where the heat is coming from exactly..

Might be one particular area.

Interesting thread.

I can see the tube design making an impact.

If you have mega heat temps. Maybe worth measuring using an IR sensor the manifold itself. To see where the heat is coming from exactly..

Might be one particular area.

Good shout Noz. I've purchased the FLIR One Thermal Camera add in for Android as I'm a user of their CCTV gear which is brilliant. Cheers.

Awesome mate. Good to hear. How much was it?
£60 which isn't bad mate. Direct attachment and uses FLIR software. Will be useful anyway around the house and looking at any hot points in wiring and circuit boards etc as well as loft