The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Spec Supra

blitz01

Hi,

I am trying to gather some information about the UK Spec Toyota Supra's.

- Were the UK cars only available in specific colours? if so what were these?

- Did they have different engine or chassis numbers compared to the Japanese models?

Any information on this topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi they came in the following colours:

Silver

Black

White

Red

Storm blue

All had either cream or black leather seats (front and back)

Engine differences include egr cooler (snorkel and bonet scoop)

Steel turbo fins instead of ceramic and a larger diameter exhaust manifold down pipe.

There are other differences under the bonet but I’m not as sharp with all of them.

They have a diff cooler in the rear air ducts and different arrangement tail light, headlight washers and glass headlights.

The 17” alloys are also a slightly different that the j spec 17’s

The drive shaft is thicker I believe (things on it are “beefier” in general)

The auto box is meant to be different (may be contested but meant to be stronger)

It has a speed sensitive front spoiler

It has larger brake callipers and disks all round (as standard)

I believe the digital clock telling outside temp is also not a jspec feature.

Is it possible that this was a one off on a UK car? As the UK car I was made aware of in this colour has all of the supporting UK spec has never been exported or imported from the UK and also has a UK Spec chassis number as from what I understand the J-Spec cars have a slightly different chassis number (Similar to the Nissan Skyline R33 & R34 GTR's).

Thats 1A1 and it wasn't a UK spec colour

There was 3 to 4 A1a Uk spec cars from the factory all special orders so not an official stock colour.

I have seen one in the flesh leaving simply Jap last year and there is another one in Belgium that was for sale last year (single turbo) all were autos too. I think Tyson said toyota confirmed there was none std colour A1a Uk cars in the UK register thread?

I cannot see any difference am I missing something?

There was no difference between UK and JSpec wheels there was however a difference between pre facelift and facelift wheels. There was additional bracing on the back on the spokes on the facelift wheels

There was no difference between UK and JSpec wheels there was however a difference between pre facelift and facelift wheels. There was additional bracing on the back on the spokes on the facelift wheels

Thank you for clarifying that I knew that about the facelift wheels, does that make the preface-lift wheels stronger?

Thanks for the information. I was told there was also a bronze/brown UK supra from factory and that this is the only one of this colour in UK Spec.

Thats 1A1 and it wasn't a UK spec colour

There was 3 to 4 A1a Uk spec cars from the factory all special orders so not an official stock colour.

I have seen one in the flesh leaving simply Jap last year and there is another one in Belgium that was for sale last year (single turbo) all were autos too. I think Tyson said toyota confirmed there was none std colour A1a Uk cars in the UK register thread?

I can confirm that there were 3 special order 1A1 supras all 1993 and all Autos. Two are exported but one is still here. There was also I believe a special order supra in green too again a 1993 Auto, everything I find on this car suggests it hasnt been resprayed and it is still in the UK somewhere !

Edited by Tyson (see edit history)

Thank you for clarifying that I knew that about the facelift wheels, does that make the preface-lift wheels stronger?

That I do not know but I have never heard of any cracking / bending etc of stock wheels so not sure why they would add bracing unless they made them out of cheaper material ?

Is it possible that this was a one off on a UK car? As the UK car I was made aware of in this colour has all of the supporting UK spec has never been exported or imported from the UK and also has a UK Spec chassis number as from what I understand the J-Spec cars have a slightly different chassis number (Similar to the Nissan Skyline R33 & R34 GTR's).

If you pm me the chassis number I can let you know if it is indeed a genuine 1A1.

Thanks for all the information guys, really helpful information.

I can confirm that there were 3 special order 1A1 supras all 1993 and all Autos. Two are exported but one is still here. There was also I believe a special order supra in green too again a 1993 Auto, everything I find on this car suggests it hasnt been resprayed and it is still in the UK somewhere !

The car I have been told about is a factory 6 speed manual - may be the only 6 speed UK spec car in 1A1.

The car I have been told about is a factory 6 speed manual - may be the only 6 speed UK spec car in 1A1.

Ah I know which car you are speaking of as it befell one of the greatest travesties known to a factory UK supra. It was indeed a 1A1 6 speed UK car the rarest of the rare a genuine unicorn one of a kind but in tragic turn of events was resprayed factory red. It belongs to a member on here nick69 http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?312985-Recognise-this-plate-82TUR&highlight=nick69

I had been doing some digging on it as I couldn't find evidence of a respray but after finding the above thread and matching the vin to a 1A1 I can confirm this is the 4th and final 1A1 UK car to be sold here in the UK and the only one to have a manual box.

Edited by Tyson (see edit history)

I would love to see the VIN plate on one of these 1A1 cars to see what the VIN says, are you speaking to the owner or through a thrid party ?

I would love to see the VIN plate on one of these 1A1 cars to see what the VIN says, are you speaking to the owner or through a thrid party ?

I am not in touch with the owner or anyone who is talking to the owner. I was just having a chat with one of my close pals and the subject came up about UK Spec supra colours, I knew there were some green UK cars and he was sure about 1A1 being on the UK spec cars - as I had never seen or heard of any on UK spec cars, I was only aware of this colour being on J-spec cars. I just wanted to check if they were actually produced as our chat turned into a debate! He claimed he knew of one from years ago in a 6 speed manual. So I thought lets go to the forum if they are available in UK spec cars then someone here will surely know

I am not in touch with the owner or anyone who is talking to the owner. I was just having a chat with one of my close pals and the subject came up about UK Spec supra colours, I knew there were some green UK cars and he was sure about 1A1 being on the UK spec cars - as I had never seen or heard of any on UK spec cars, I was only aware of this colour being on J-spec cars. I just wanted to check if they were actually produced as our chat turned into a debate! He claimed he knew of one from years ago in a 6 speed manual. So I thought lets go to the forum if they are available in UK spec cars then someone here will surely know

Your friend is correct there was 1 in 1A1 in 6 speed, if I owned that car the first thing I would be doing is changing it back to 1A1. It’s a pity that it was resprayed as if it had been left untouched it would have been worth some serious money to a collector.

I’ve been trying to find that DJG uk spec for ages! I heard about it a few years ago but it’s never seen or etc...if you find out any information about it then keep me updated and I’ll do the same for you :thumbs:

That I do not know but I have never heard of any cracking / bending etc of stock wheels so not sure why they would add bracing unless they made them out of cheaper material ?
I had a set of both and I can't personally see how the bracing actually helps much unless as you say Tyson manufactured from a weaker material. It's only under the centre cap.