Thread: Thinking about renting my field for Club meets

I'm a newbie Club Member
    Feedback

Thinking about renting my field for Club meets

Hi all Ive got a 2.5 acre field in Staxton near Scarborough yo12 and I've been thinking for a while what to do with it. What id really like to do is to make it a sort of venue for any clubs to meet up whether it be Classic car clubs, Japanese car clubs, etc . Its flat and good access to the A64.

Ive never been to a car meet with my Supra or anything so Ive got no idea of these things but i was just wondering if anyone has experience of organising a meet, what to charger what people pay, what's expected ie toilets, burger vans etc . I appreciate a lot of people meet up in places for free, i would need to charge but I would try to make it cheaper for this club of course being a member.

Its needs a bit of development so wouldn't be until next year but from what i can tell there are not many places to meet around Scarborough.

Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance

I'm a newbie Club Member
    Feedback
    this is my field
    Attached Images Attached Images

Me? Post? Never! Club Member
    Feedback
    What a nightmare thought. You'd need to approach the council for licences with every event and obtain at cost a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). You'd need to have adequate public liability insurance and to separate the events from your person otherwise any incident could entail a claim against you personally and your personal property. You'd need to arrange electricity (with certification), water, toilets and refuse removal. You'd presumably need help to clear the site of rubbish and debris after each even. You'd need a ground crew to prepare the site ahead of any venue. You'd probably be best advertising locally to see if anyone would like access to a pony paddock.

There are lots of sites about setting up farm land and buildings as a wedding venue so if you read some of those it'll let you know what you'd need to consider before taking any decision. 2.5 acres is probably more a wedding and private party size than a car club event size which tends to be a few cars in a pub car park or major shows covering big space. Something like a party or wedding location would obviously be defined by the site access and serenity of it setting.

I'm a newbie Club Member
    Feedback
    Hahahahaha maybe not then lol.

Feedback
    I wouldn't throw out the idea entirely yet, its perfectly valid as a huge number of car shows I've exhibited at are exactly this.
    You already owning the field is a huge advantage over event organisers who have to rent one to begin with.

It might be worth talking to some of the shows which are doing exactly what your thinking about, to see the complexity of doing it yourself, or how they might be able to do it for you and provide you a cut of the action.

Singular Shows doing similar(and importantly wouldn't be competition to you) are Cumbria International Motorshow run by the ESPCC in the westmoreland country show field, or Manchester cars and Coffee on the fields of Barton airport(Veterans Garage),
    Then there is the larger Tatton Park and its various Classic shows all run by theclassiccarshows.com or Gemini Events who run a whole heap of lawn, estate and manor shows.

All in all, there is a big number of show types including, family/fun-fair, cars, steam,etc, etc , which all do just what your thinking, so its definitely achievable or else there wouldn't ever be any shows anywhere.
    But what is clearly visible at every show I've been to, is that its never a "let's open the gates for a show on the weekend" thing. It does need a LOT of time and preparation with a full team of people, working very damn hard to make it happen smoothly, and all seem passionate about the shows, so im not sure how much money is actually in it for them

For an example of how to get it all wrong time and time again - "supercars of the northwest" try to run events in fields around Southport and Preston, and its been a disaster each and everytime.

I'm a newbie Club Member
    Feedback
    Thanks for the comments. Its probably too small for any major event/family fun day etc but there is a field in Bridlington, well Carnaby, that have various little classic car meets every so often. Probably only 20 cars or so and ive noticed that they camp next to their vehicles in tents and every time I pass i think i could do that. I was just thinking like a get together for the clubs with members in north yorkshire Scarborough area to meet up and stay the night if they wanted to. Something like that

Do Luck owning Club Member Swampy442's Avatar
    Feedback
    50 (100%)
    And dont forget, you'll always get some of those car show people who ruin it for everyone, smoking weed, limiter banging and tearing up the field with wheel spins etc
    I would gladly pay you 10 to never log onto this forum again, and I am serious. Scott M

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
    I did terrible things to girls I had only just met, and they loved it.

I'm a newbie Club Member
    Feedback
    Yeah thats a fair point, unless its the Robin Reliants owners club