The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New noise cameras will be used to fine drivers with loud cars

Bender

Are they serious ?

"A NEW 'noise camera' is being trialled in a crackdown on vehicles which are breaking legal noise limits and disturbing communities.

The Department for Transport (DfT) has revealed the new camera technology aims to measure the sound levels of passing vehicles to detect those that are breaking the law on noise limits.

Research commissioned by the DfT found that a noise camera system could also help to catch those who rev car or motorcycles engines beyond legal limits, making life a misery for those who live close by.

Chris Grayling, Transport Secretary, said: "Noise pollution makes the lives of people in communities across Britain an absolute misery and has very serious health impacts.

"This is why I am determined to crack down on the nuisance drivers who blight our streets.

"New technology will help us lead the way in making our towns and cities quieter, and I look forward to seeing how these exciting new cameras could work."

All vehicles must legally meet strict noise limits before they are allowed on the road.

Once a vehicle is in service, exhausts and silencers must by law be maintained in good working order and not altered to increase noise.

As part of the trial, automated number plate recognition could be used to help enforce the law.

Tony Campbell, CEO of the Motorcycle Industry Association, said: "With growing pressure on the environment, including noise pollution, illegal exhausts fitted by some riders attract unwanted attention to the motorcycle community and do nothing to promote the many benefits motorcycles can offer.

"All manufacturers produce new motorcycles that follow strict regulations regarding noise and emissions and we welcome these trials as a potential way of detecting excessive noise in our community."

Studies have found that exposure to noise can have significant physical and mental health implications – with heart attacks, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and stress all linked to long-term contact with loud environments.

Currently, enforcement is mainly reactive and relies on subjective judgement.

The trials of the new technology will determine whether the legal noise limit has been breached by taking into account the class and speed of the vehicle relative to the location of the noise camera.

The government has commissioned a prototype noise camera to be tested at several locations over the next seven months.

If the trials are successful, recommendations will be made to further develop the system across the UK."

Wysłane z mojego SM-G950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

I doubt they'll be cracking it right down to near silence so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're a chav with a straight pipe off the end of your car :D

It'll have to cater for the loud supercars that already make a bit of noise in standard form. There will also be a generous fudge factor for likes of wind noise/calibration tolerances etc.

Depends how loud the limit is, some chav in his corsa drove past my house the other day when I was cutting the grass on my drive and it left my ears ringing how loud it was. I like a bit of noise but not that loud. Same with the "loud pipes save lives" bike crew who pull wheelies on the motorways and undertake you at 50mph over the speed limit and ride up the hard shoulders.

2 cars go past one at once. how do they know which car is making noise.

how do they know its not someone mowing a lawn next to the camera. what if the council are cutting the grass. everyone on the way past gets a ticket. ridiculous. There are so many ways that this just wouldnt work. and id imagine chalenging a ticket and saying "prove it was my car and not x"

Although. i do agree on noisy cars being a nuicence. a few months ago we had cars comming into a capark at 2am near us and just revving the nuts off them. called the police a few times. But that was 2am. not 3pm on a sunday.