Thread: New noise cameras will be used to fine drivers with loud cars

I'm addicted now! Club Member Bender's Avatar
    Feedback
    3 (100%)

New noise cameras will be used to fine drivers with loud cars

Are they serious ?
    "A NEW 'noise camera' is being trialled in a crackdown on vehicles which are breaking legal noise limits and disturbing communities.
    The Department for Transport (DfT) has revealed the new camera technology aims to measure the sound levels of passing vehicles to detect those that are breaking the law on noise limits.
    Research commissioned by the DfT found that a noise camera system could also help to catch those who rev car or motorcycles engines beyond legal limits, making life a misery for those who live close by.

Chris Grayling, Transport Secretary, said: "Noise pollution makes the lives of people in communities across Britain an absolute misery and has very serious health impacts.
    "This is why I am determined to crack down on the nuisance drivers who blight our streets.
    "New technology will help us lead the way in making our towns and cities quieter, and I look forward to seeing how these exciting new cameras could work."
    All vehicles must legally meet strict noise limits before they are allowed on the road.
    Once a vehicle is in service, exhausts and silencers must by law be maintained in good working order and not altered to increase noise.
    As part of the trial, automated number plate recognition could be used to help enforce the law.
    Tony Campbell, CEO of the Motorcycle Industry Association, said: "With growing pressure on the environment, including noise pollution, illegal exhausts fitted by some riders attract unwanted attention to the motorcycle community and do nothing to promote the many benefits motorcycles can offer.
    "All manufacturers produce new motorcycles that follow strict regulations regarding noise and emissions and we welcome these trials as a potential way of detecting excessive noise in our community."
    Studies have found that exposure to noise can have significant physical and mental health implications with heart attacks, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and stress all linked to long-term contact with loud environments.

Currently, enforcement is mainly reactive and relies on subjective judgement.
    The trials of the new technology will determine whether the legal noise limit has been breached by taking into account the class and speed of the vehicle relative to the location of the noise camera.
    The government has commissioned a prototype noise camera to be tested at several locations over the next seven months.
    If the trials are successful, recommendations will be made to further develop the system across the UK."

Wysłane z mojego SM-G950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Ride Or Die Club Member Supra-love's Avatar
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Won’t be worth driving soon....
    In the words of sir Winston Churchill, Never, Never, Never, Give Up.

Work... what work? Club Member
    Feedback
    Time to move abroad

96 Pre VVTI Facelift Club Member tayr's Avatar
    Feedback
    Park up next to one and rev hard when a prius goes through

Me? Post? Never! Club Member Annabella's Avatar
    Feedback
    Must be 1st April.

I'm part of the furniture Club Member Dnk's Avatar
    Feedback
    15 (100%)
    Long overdue

Should have a proper noise meter test in the mot as well, just like they do at trackdays etc
    Last edited by Dnk; 12-06-19 at 09:13.
    Dunk

Work... what work? Club Member raddys's Avatar
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    What a joke

I'm addicted now! Club Member uzzyuzzy's Avatar
    Feedback
    First the congestion charge then ULEZ and now these acoustics cameras. Most motorists feel like they are being taxed again.
    We'll settle this behind the wheel.
    1994 GZ Aerotop With Custom Interior Auto-TT BPU- SOLD
    1997 HKS Single Turbo Auto RZ-S- SOLD
    2018 Nissan GTR Nismo Track Edition- Current daily
    Supra no 3 pending

Me? Post? Never! Club Member Style's Avatar
    Feedback
    6 (100%)
    I doubt they'll be cracking it right down to near silence so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're a chav with a straight pipe off the end of your car

It'll have to cater for the loud supercars that already make a bit of noise in standard form. There will also be a generous fudge factor for likes of wind noise/calibration tolerances etc.
    '96 SZ-R 6 Speed.
    Whifbitz NA-T
    Project Thread Here

What search button? Club Member bayside_supra's Avatar
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Hopefully this is mainly aimed at bikers
    1993 Aerotop 6 Speed Single

Follow me on Instagram @bayside_supra

Part of a nanny state. Club Member jamesmark's Avatar
    Feedback
    65 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bayside_supra View Post
    Hopefully this is mainly aimed at bikers
    They need it in my village for the arseholes that go up and down on their trials bikes doing wheelies, no helmets on etc. Shame none are plated.

Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Depends how loud the limit is, some chav in his corsa drove past my house the other day when I was cutting the grass on my drive and it left my ears ringing how loud it was. I like a bit of noise but not that loud. Same with the "loud pipes save lives" bike crew who pull wheelies on the motorways and undertake you at 50mph over the speed limit and ride up the hard shoulders.
    1997 NA5.

I'm addicted now! Club Member jonc's Avatar
    Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tayr View Post

Brilliant.

- - - Updated - - -

Brilliant.
    JonC

"living the dream"

Supra VVTI TT Tiptronic
    MGZT 190

Feedback
    28 (100%)
    2 cars go past one at once. how do they know which car is making noise.
    how do they know its not someone mowing a lawn next to the camera. what if the council are cutting the grass. everyone on the way past gets a ticket. ridiculous. There are so many ways that this just wouldnt work. and id imagine chalenging a ticket and saying "prove it was my car and not x"

Although. i do agree on noisy cars being a nuicence. a few months ago we had cars comming into a capark at 2am near us and just revving the nuts off them. called the police a few times. But that was 2am. not 3pm on a sunday.

"There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey."
    - John Ruskin

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Online Supra review - "The driver gets all the fun and the passenger gets thrown around and feels sick. ."

I'm addicted now! Club Member
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    This was my thought too. Troll every noise camera in the country with meets near them. You could just keep setting it off for hundreds of cars.