The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake hard line help

cainhead

Hello,

Just updating my brake lines and have two hard lines that are impossible to get off. To make things worse the connectors have rounded off trying to release them. With the age of the car i might as well replace the actual hard lines. Couple of questions.

1, After doing some searching I see that Chris W recommends replacing them with Kunifer pipes (Chris is you read this please feel free to comment ). Unless nothing else has become a better option should I go with this or is there still an argument for OEM lines?

2, How easy is it to fit the connectors either end, what tools do I need, and any recommendations of where to buy all of this.

Cheers

Hello,

Just updating my brake lines and have two hard lines that are impossible to get off. To make things worse the connectors have rounded off trying to release them. With the age of the car i might as well replace the actual hard lines. Couple of questions.

1, After doing some searching I see that Chris W recommends replacing them with Kunifer pipes (Chris is you read this please feel free to comment ). Unless nothing else has become a better option should I go with this or is there still an argument for OEM lines?

2, How easy is it to fit the connectors either end, what tools do I need, and any recommendations of where to buy all of this.

Cheers

Kunifer pipe is a brand of Cupro Nickel brake pipe.

If I recall the OEM pipes are plastic coated steel and will therefore always be susceptible to corrosion. The Cupro Nickel pipe offers better corrosion resilience and you can buy it in bulk, probably at a fraction of the cost of replacing the OEM lines.

Having said that, I suspect there's a bit of skill involved in the bending and flaring of the pipes to make your own.

I had all my brake lines replaced with copper using a length of tube I bought off eBay and the local garage fitted them as they had the fittings and flaring tool. Didn't cost a great deal to get it done. I bought in a new OEM set to, just in case I or any future owner want to revert it to stock but copper is good, bendable and cheap.

Yeah one came off with with mole grips but still can't get the last two. I'll try again tonight.

I have a really small set of stilsons for this, only ever failed on a vauxhall which had steel fittings and ally cylinders and even then they gripped and turned but the fittings sheared.

I had all my brake lines replaced with copper using a length of tube I bought off eBay and the local garage fitted them as they had the fittings and flaring tool. Didn't cost a great deal to get it done. I bought in a new OEM set to, just in case I or any future owner want to revert it to stock but copper is good, bendable and cheap.

The hard lines are discontinued now