The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Essential parts and recommended mods

MrGRT

Trying to put a list together of things to buy and work towards to and I know this is very individual.

- So in regards to parts, which ones would you say are a must to have: say oil filters, air filters, what else?

- With mods, excluding engine swaps and transmission swaps, what will be the first few things that you will recommend?

- Who provides the best fitment and quality carbon parts?

- Carbon parts: Quality and fitments, what to avoid or which ones are the recommended vendors?

Have a read of the tech glossary, there is a wrath of threads that have been done to death on this very subject (Mods, must have's).

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?65-Technical-Glossary

Thanks James but that doesn't answer my questions.

I am after those mods that people will recommend a new person to do in their experience, sort of a top 5 mods.

Also the list of maintenance parts that they recommend to keep a stock of.

These cars are getting on a bit now so the best advice I could give is to initially ditch mods in favor of a very thorough service and look over the car. We're talking suspension bushes, ball joints, fluids, filters, plugs, gaskets, valve stem seals, coil packs etc.

Most, if not all, of those parts are still best to come from Toyota. There are aftermarket options out there but OEM seems to be the best for most things.

If your heart is set on top 5 mods, I'd probably say wheels, exhaust, coilovers, intake and some nice speakers. If your stock TT, a BPU package trumps all of that.

There's a few carbon vendors on here that provide some good quality parts. Whifbitz and SRD do some nice bits and MK4_Gaz is doing some crazy work on carbon goodies, mainly parts that no one else is currently selling so it would be worth giving him a shout. Hope this helps :)

Also the list of maintenance parts that they recommend to keep a stock of.

I wouldn't be so concerned about keeping a stock of things but unless you've got a proper low mileage garage queen, there's a lot of preventative maintenance that will be coming up for needing doing.

Crank pulley

All vac hoses

Turbo link pipes

Coil pack clips

Various major service items like gearbox/diff oil, timing belt, tensioner, pulley etc. Again, maybe you have immaculate service history, but for most cars you'll have no idea when they were last done.

Depends on what you want? What sort of mods? Owners are very much swinging towards the OEM look so theres a few styling parts around now.

Id say above, old cars now so pay attention to the running gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Mad bwaaaap-tshhh dump valve :D

Absolutely NOT!

Love a dump valve!

I'd say a front mount used to be in my top five. But now I think it looks a bit tacky.

I mean I love the look. Chrome pipes. But it's been ruined a little by the lower quality vehicles rocking that upgrade. MG ZR's and Audi A3 with them hanging infront of their bumpers. :(

My number one upgrade would be a triple pillar pod. Always wanted one. Was my first modification on my supra when i got it. Couldn't buy one so made one.

My number one upgrade would be a triple pillar pod. Always wanted one. Was my first modification on my supra when i got it. Couldn't buy one so made one.

What can you tell me about these? Is it something you offer? I have a spare A pillar trim ready in case I give in and screw a 2 guage pod to it, but I'd really love 3. As you say, can't find them anywhere. Thinking boost, AFR and a temperature of some kind.

As a relatively new owner I'd agree with getting the car thoroughly checked over before spending on mods. Mine was in pretty good condition when I got it, however it still definitely benefitted from a few trips to Whifbitz to get things like seals and fluids replaced. Turbo drain seals, rear diff mounts, crank seals and coil clips all needed doing amongst other things- not especially exciting but it's a weight off my mind to know they've been done.