The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Joined long time ago - looking at Supras seriously now!

Stephen88

Here is a tailgate rubber shot from my 040 Supra for comparison.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233599[/ATTACH]

Thanks for that, your looks clean from what I can see, can you take another picture a bit further back into the corner and the other side too. Does yours have weld joins? I am starting to wonder if there is repair work on my car......

:(

Thanks for that, your looks clean from what I can see, can you take another picture a bit further back into the corner and the other side too. Does yours have weld joins? I am starting to wonder if there is repair work on my car......

:(

This may come across controversial and i'm not meaning to sound that way however;

Take the cost out of it, it is an old car, obviously as with anything it's guess work a lot of the time when importing. It's something that can easily be missed..

I suspect quite a few cars on here have un-recorded little shunts in their histories that the owners probably don't even know about - it's only after taking alot of stuff apart you might see the signs. Yours is potentially in a more visible area (if that's what it is). Even the Auction graders can't always be 100% accurate, they usually go by obvious signs, or whether a car has gone through auction before having had obvious accident damage. In which case it is still subjective.

The place where you have an issue with is not somewhere that i personally would look to find any problems. (i.e. when buying a car, i wouldn't really think to check that part) maybe that's just me.

Try not to focus on that too much. You have a very clean, late facelift model with good mileage in stock form. If you want, i'm sure somewhere could strip that back, blend and spray it so it looks a bit cleaner. I would check mine for you but it's in a bubble at the moment and quite a faff to get open.

They are getting to the age now where they do need some attention and will never truly be like a brand new car.

I know what the dealer is talking about, in certain places the car does have flexible seam sealant but i don't think this is that. Perhaps they are getting confused.

If it helps, there is a website called carvx.jp - you put in your VIN and it costs about £13 and they send you a kind of history on your car, it shows previous times it went through the auction, as well as pictures sometimes if it has been involved in a shunt. I have used it multiple times, and it is well worth the money.

Thanks for the comments above,

I do take it as what it is and I do appreciate what members say that as paying that money I should expect something immaculate. But at the same time however well one looks after the car if is been used there will be signs of wear. I have had my honda accord type r for 15 years. I have spent all I reasonably can to maintain it. I can tell you is way above what's it worth! My neighbour however has went into the back of it a month ago and on inspection with the repairs from insurance. I am told that my door has been repaired. So this is news to me after owning the car for 15 yrs!!!

I really do appreciate the pictures so keep them coming if possible, it gives me something to compare to. If I do decide to tidy it up a bit.

To be fair Torque GT have been good through out the process. They are doing the best they can in terms of maintaining a business and whilst searching for best condition cars. They are also searching for a revcounter at the moment.

Gone are the days that you can get completely clean rust free cars. With Brexit, currency exchange rates and availbility. Prices are just going to rise higher and higher. I can see MK 4 supras rising to 50K and beyond. We shall see :)

And I definately reccomend going to them to source a car!

Despite some faults, I am happy that I have a clean car which can be even better, with a little bit of work.

Edited by Stephen88 (see edit history)

Thanks for the comments above,

I do take it as what it is and I do appreciate what members say that as paying that money I should expect something immaculate. But at the same time however well one looks after the car if is been used there will be signs of wear. I have had my honda accord type r for 15 years. I have spent all I reasonably can to maintain it. I can tell you is way above what's it worth! My neighbour however has went into the back of it a month ago and on inspection with the repairs from insurance. I am told that my door has been repaired. So this is news to me after owning the car for 15 yrs!!!

I really do appreciate the pictures so keep them coming if possible, it gives me something to compare to. If I do decide to tidy it up a bit.

To be fair Torque GT have been good through out the process. They are doing the best they can in terms of maintaining a business and whilst searching for best condition cars. They are also searching for a revcounter at the moment.

Gone are the days that you can get completely clean rust free cars. With Brexit, currency exchange rates and availbility. Prices are just going to rise higher and higher. I can see MK 4 supras rising to 50K and beyond. We shall see :)

And I definately reccomend going to them to source a car!

Despite some faults, I am happy that I have a clean car which can be even better, with a little bit of work.

Hey you're the customer, as long as you're happy who cares what a bunch of internet weirdos think! But the fact remains you paid the price for one of the most expensive Supra's in the country and the importer should really have spent a couple of huddled quid making it perfect.

You may have paid new car money for it but doesnt mean you get new car condition. But you know this.

Mine during the respray and arch build had loads of hidden clues to knocks and minor bangs.

Personally I dont think even graders spot everything.

Cars mint in my eyes. Un noticable repair work wouldnt bother me personally.

As we would all like to know. But does it really devalue the car?

Without proof theres been an impact or negative reason to do the work, I dont think it would.

Steve, its mike from SRD. After reading this thread this morning me and james took your rear lights out to check for any creases or obvious signs of repair work in that area.

Everything looks to be in good order. I think the paint is quite thin in the areas by the boot rubbers, so looks like its had some water/muck sat there previously which has brought it up. Compared it with a few other supra's and seemed similar. So shouldn't be anything to worry about

Steve, its mike from SRD. After reading this thread this morning me and james took your rear lights out to check for any creases or obvious signs of repair work in that area.

Everything looks to be in good order. I think the paint is quite thin in the areas by the boot rubbers, so looks like its had some water/muck sat there previously which has brought it up. Compared it with a few other supra's and seemed similar. So shouldn't be anything to worry about

Thanks alot mike! I'm glad to hear the car hasn't been involved in any knocks!!! Go to know it just a bit of paint issue I think I just get that cleaned up by my local bodyshop repairer who's pretty good.

Where that corrosion is, is a water way/drain point. When it blocks water sits there...corroding it faster. Lots of supras get that. BUT the kicker to that spot is, its where the arch joins/ welds to the frame and there are lips underneath. Once rust is showing on the top, theres 100% more under/ inside. And the only way to sort it would be to drill the spot welds and peel the skin back.

Edited by evinX (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the input all, I do feel 40K is really top end money, just wondered if is realistic. And yes it should have recaros if is a RZ. Havng said that the R34 GTR have asking price from 40s to 60s not v-spec. Will supra's follow the trend with the prices like R34 GTR? Any thoughts on future prices ? Or are we topping out already?

The wheels are fairly nice, but I quite like the OEM look myself.

No way. They’ll appreciate in value but in no way comparible to the R34GTR, a few more years and you’ll see the difference. The values are constantly climbing, and with lots of wealthy chaps out there buying as many as they can they will decide how the market looks when the doors open up to the US in the near future.

Edit, the V-Specs aren’t that much more ‘special’ than non.

Edited by R34Ben (see edit history)