Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Big problems shock absorbers Bilstein B6

Feedback
    45 (100%)
    Just for additional info......and some Chris Wilson input.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...ht=ride+height

post 13 by Chris states "Ride height is solely governed by lower bolt C/L to lower spring seat distance." and your picture earlier on seems to show the Bilstein being shorter C/L to lower spring seat wise.
    Last edited by Scooter; 17-06-19 at 17:45.
    Number 8 ...........doing my best to keep
    Number 9 ........been and gone!
    Number 10 ........on its way

Work... what work? Club Member Johnm400's Avatar
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy442 View Post
    Buy a coil over kit for the JZS147 Aristo or Soarer, same shocks just longer
    Knowing my luck it would then be too high!

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    If you want a lift spacer machining up let me know. I can turn one up on my lathe. Its practically the same as moving the groove for the clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That would be great if you could Andy, very kind of you to offer. Do you have some Bilsteins to measure the internal and external diameter?

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Just for additional info......and some Chris Wilson input.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...ht=ride+height

post 13 by Chris states "Ride height is solely governed by lower bolt C/L to lower spring seat distance." and your picture earlier on seems to show the Bilstein being shorter C/L to lower spring seat wise.
    Thats exactly the problem right there. The difference is 15mm. I can only conclude that Supras turned out from the factory with Bilsteins must also have been 15mm lower than those that turned out with the basic KYB shocks.

Work... what work? Club Member
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnm400 View Post
    That would be great if you could Andy, very kind of you to offer. Do you have some Bilsteins to measure the internal and external diameter?
    I donít unfortunately. Do you have the size drawings from bilstein?

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I don’t unfortunately. Do you have the size drawings from bilstein?

Ive no measurement for the shock diameter, only lengths. Leave it with me, ill strip mine down at weekend and measure them then pm you.

Feedback
    Well what a nightmare ive created for myself. I went and bought the rear Bilsteins so they are all matching. Problem is that the rears RAISE the ride height, only very slightly but with the drop at the front, the rear is now in the air. The car looks stupid and im really not happy.

Bilstein customer service is awful, they just stopped replying to me about the fronts and i had to ask Larkspeed to get involved. I asked could i send the front shocks back but Bilstein refused because they had been fitted but how was i supposed to know that they would mess the ride height up without fitting them? Bilsteins own website says you can use the oem springs to keep the standard ride height. Thinking Andy could make me some collars to lift the height, i went and bought the rears and now have double the problem!

I believe Toyota fitted a different spring when they fitted Bilsteins from the factory. Im wondering was the rear spring shorter and the front longer? Im now looking for some oem springs that were fitted to the Toyota Bilsteins.

Does anybody have pics of their car with Bilsteins on Eibach springs? Im curious as to how the car sits? The front must be really low.

Feedback
    Latest update, the shocks have been sent back to Bilstein for the circlip grooves to be recut at my specified height. These shocks have caused me a nightmare tbh and I wouldn't recommend anybody go down this route of Bilsteins and OEM springs in future unless you want a car thats low at the front and high at the rear.

Feedback
    45 (100%)
    It's weird this as I did the all bilsteins swap to mine with stock springs and the original black standard shocks.

I have never heard of different springs, just NA or TT ones.

Posting is my life! Events Organiser wile e coyote's Avatar
    Feedback
    26 (100%)
    Front or rear or both
    Attached should be pics of the front if it helps575DB52A-5914-4D3D-89B4-4985492C830C.jpgCF529457-C5D0-4E7E-B886-B9B3F971338C.jpg
    BEEP BEEP

" Dude I Almost Had You " Paul Walker 1973 - 2013 R.I.P Paul you inspired a generation.

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    It's weird this as I did the all bilsteins swap to mine with stock springs and the original black standard shocks.

I have never heard of different springs, just NA or TT ones.
    Did you use the oem springs though or swap to lowering springs? You can clearly see from my pic of the fronts below that the distance from spring seat to bolt eye is shorter on the Bilsteins which is why the front then sits lower. Weirdly, on the rears the spring seat to bolt eye distance is longer on the Bilsteins making the ride height higher at the back. I did manage to find this thread with exactly the same problem http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...light=bilstein and i contacted machman and he too never got to the bottom of the problem.

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by wile e coyote View Post
    Front or rear or both
    Attached should be pics of the front if it helps575DB52A-5914-4D3D-89B4-4985492C830C.jpgCF529457-C5D0-4E7E-B886-B9B3F971338C.jpg

The Bilsteins lower the front by about 10mm and the rears lift the rear by about 10mm. You end up with a horrible stance.

Feedback
    45 (100%)
    All oem springs, but I didn't have a close clearance issue so perhaps didn't notice, but I haven't got a nose down stance at all?

Silent lurker... Club Member Rob W's Avatar
    Feedback
    19 (100%)
    I remember when getting my custom B6 Bilsteins from CW, he stated that they do drop the car slightly lower then stock shocks.

I fitted mine with mine with Eibach springs, bet never noticed a massive difference compared to the stock shocks with the Eibach’s.

Ended up changing them out for my KW V3’s in the end which are a far better road set up IMO.
    95 J-Spec TT BPU+

Me? Post? Never! Club Member
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnm400 View Post
    The Bilsteins lower the front by about 10mm and the rears lift the rear by about 10mm. You end up with a horrible stance.
    I just had my car chassis tuned and they measured the ride height and compared to OEM spec on on my Toyota Bilsteins all 4 corners were 10mm lower.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast