Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Big problems shock absorbers Bilstein B6

Me? Post? Never! Club Member
    Feedback
    If it helps at all I have a spare set off the car and can measure the distance from the spring support to the top.

supra strut.jpg

Work... what work? Club Member
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by samdale View Post
    Just a thought, are all OEM springs the same? A quick look on toyodiy and I've found at least 3 "EDIT:4" different part numbers between models. Maybe springs for kyb shocks are different to those for OEM bilsteins?

Toyota part numbers:
    48131-1D561
    48131-1D582
    48131-1D601
    48131-1D602
    Could be slight differences but other people have used J spec springs off the KYB shocks with no issues Mine are J spec and other people have used them with the Bilsteins with no trouble.

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by rider View Post
    If it helps at all I have a spare set off the car and can measure the distance from the spring support to the top.

supra strut.jpg
    That would help please if you could measure from the lowest point of the spring support to the lower edge of the top mount and also from the centre line of the bolt eye to the lowest point of the spring support

Feedback
    lowest point of the spring support to the lower edge of the top mount = 275mm

centre line (top of thread) of the bolt eye to the lowest point of the spring support = 310mm

Measurements from the base of the spring support, not the base of the spring.

Feedback
    lowest point of the spring support to the lower edge of the top mount = 275mm

centre line (top of thread) of the bolt eye to the lowest point of the spring support = 310mm

Measurements from the base of the spring support, not the base of the spring.
    Thanks for doing that. Ill check with mine tomorrow. Can you confirm that your springs are under tension on the shock and you cant move them?

Feedback
    The spring is held very firmly in place.

Feedback
    The spring is held very firmly in place.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Feedback
    UPDATE- Spoke to somebody at Bilstein technical dept and he wants me to measure the shock absorber dimensions. He also said that the spring seat could be the wrong one and for the rears so ive got to check that too. Failing that, they can alter the shocks at worst case scenario.

Posting is my life! Club Member T2 MSW's Avatar
    Feedback
    43 (100%)
    As Sam has pointed out the rear and front springs are different lengths so are you sure this is the correct spring for the correct corner of the car??

However having gone through this length difference with Christians car neither were loose when fitted and off the car even when they were the wrong way round.

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by T2 MSW View Post
    As Sam has pointed out the rear and front springs are different lengths so are you sure this is the correct spring for the correct corner of the car??

However having gone through this length difference with Christians car neither were loose when fitted and off the car even when they were the wrong way round.
    Yes they are deffo the right springs. I even have a spare front spring off another Supra and that is exactly the same. I am almost certain that something is wrong with the Bilsteins or the bottom spring seats they sent are wrongly machined.

If anybody is thinking of buying Bilsteins I'd hold off until I get to the bottom of this problem because something isn't right.

Feedback
    Update. Still none the wiser with this. All shock measurements sent to Bilstein say everything is correct and are also stumped. The car has been lowered substantially at the front just by fitting the B6 shocks, i cant even get the jack under now. Bilstein are now looking into either altering the spring seat height or making me some sleeves that sit between the circlip and spring seat.

What search button? Club Member Spunkmeyer's Avatar
    Feedback
    8 (100%)

Big problems shock absorbers Bilstein B6

If it helps you or me I have my setup pics to hand here: Iím using eibach lowering springs

Do the B6 part numbers match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Spunkmeyer; 08-06-19 at 08:13.
    2002 VVTi TT Auto BPU 202 Black - JM Supplied
    1996 TT Auto BPU 202 Black - Sold

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunkmeyer View Post
    If it helps you or me I have my setup pics to hand here: I’m using eibach lowering springs

http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2019/06/59.jpg

http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2019/06/60.jpg

Do the B6 part numbers match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes the part numbers are right and Bilstein say all the measurements ive sent them are correct. They cant understand why the car has been lowered just by changing the shocks but its clear to me that the lower spring seat sits lower down on the Bilsteins than it does on the OEM shocks. Its only about 15mm lower but thats enough to stop me being able to get in and out of the garage without scraping. The lower spring seat and longer piston rod also means that the OEM spring is not long enough to sit under tension between the spring seat and top mount. If you put one of your Bilstein fronts next to your old Toyota front shock, you will sew what i mean about the spring seat being lower on the Bilstein.

Feedback
    Now Bilstein have gone quiet and i am not getting a reply. No idea what im going to do now. Im stuck with two shock absorbers that are no good to me and 260 odd quid down the drain. Is there nobody that has a pair of new OEM KYB shocks i could buy?

The Non-PC Club Member Frank Bullitt's Avatar
    Feedback
    12 (100%)
    Why don't you just contact Chris Wilson, take your suspension to him and get him to look at it.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/member.php?54-Chris-Wilson

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast