Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Big problems shock absorbers Bilstein B6

I can post! Club Member
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    I have these fitted front and rear with stock springs with no issues at all.

Work... what work? Club Member
    Feedback
    How old are the springs? Over time springs loose their elasticity (if thats the correct term) and could loose near 20mm of total length. Some of the springs on these cars can be near 20 years old so that could be your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback
    44 (100%)
    Did you do this

https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/sac...ock-absorbers/

Pushing them down, it takes some effort pushing on the top mount, but perhaps after this when you tighten them up the residual pressure in them won't open back up any gap in the spring?
    Number 8 ...........doing my best to keep
    Number 9 ........been and gone!
    Number 10 ........on its way

Feedback
    44 (100%)
    Also if you wanted to test uncompressed Spring length I have some off a car I could measure for comparison.
    Number 8 ...........doing my best to keep
    Number 9 ........been and gone!
    Number 10 ........on its way

I'm addicted now! Club Member jonc's Avatar
    Feedback
    4 (100%)
    I'm on my second set of Bilsteins on mkiv's and have never come across this on stock springs.

To get the top mounts on the springs have needed to be compressed with the spring compressor.

Are you 100% sure the shock length is correct and it's the correct B6 bilstein shock for the mkiv? Or maybe you don't have stock springs. I know the Bilsteins fit well with most common lowering springs.

I can't remember which model number I have but will see if I can find it for the shocks
    JonC

"living the dream"

Supra VVTI TT Tiptronic
    MGZT 190

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I have these fitted front and rear with stock springs with no issues at all.
    Thanks so there should be no problem then. I am stumped with it.

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    How old are the springs? Over time springs loose their elasticity (if thats the correct term) and could loose near 20mm of total length. Some of the springs on these cars can be near 20 years old so that could be your issue.

Well they are the original springs so 25 years old i assume but i had a spare spring on an old shock that was duff and thats the same.

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Did you do this

https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/sac...ock-absorbers/

Pushing them down, it takes some effort pushing on the top mount, but perhaps after this when you tighten them up the residual pressure in them won't open back up any gap in the spring?
    I didnt do that no, id never heard of it but im going to strip it down again today so will try.

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Also if you wanted to test uncompressed Spring length I have some off a car I could measure for comparison.
    I have another spare stock spring which is the same as the two on the car but if you could measure the length just to be sure that would be good thanks.

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    I'm on my second set of Bilsteins on mkiv's and have never come across this on stock springs.

To get the top mounts on the springs have needed to be compressed with the spring compressor.

Are you 100% sure the shock length is correct and it's the correct B6 bilstein shock for the mkiv? Or maybe you don't have stock springs. I know the Bilsteins fit well with most common lowering springs.

I can't remember which model number I have but will see if I can find it for the shocks
    My springs are deffo J spec stock and i even have a spare stock spring which is the same. The piston rod on the Bilsteins is about half an inch longer than the Toyota piston rod when lay side by side but the bolt eye to the lower mount plate is the same length. Part number of my Bilsteins is 24-017923 if you could check yours?
    Last edited by Johnm400; 02-06-19 at 11:07.

Feedback
    Bleeding the dampers will not affect the issue he is having. They will still extend the same amount and compress the same. It will only effect the dampening performance withib the first 30 miles or so

Feedback
    Bleeding the dampers will not affect the issue he is having. They will still extend the same amount and compress the same. It will only effect the dampening performance withib the first 30 miles or so

Thanks for clearing that up. Im beginning to think that the Bilsteins have been manufactured incorrectly and the piston rod is too long (bad batch). Its the only plausible explanation.

Feedback
    I wouldn’t have thought it would be a bad batch. Tolerance checking wouldnt let a rod go to assembly stages if the rod is over 1mm too long. Either its the wrong damper set or the springs are old and tired or wrong springs altogether

I can post! Club Member
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    That is the correct part number, really should be a straightforward swa, very strange.

Feedback
    I wouldn’t have thought it would be a bad batch. Tolerance checking wouldnt let a rod go to assembly stages if the rod is over 1mm too long. Either its the wrong damper set or the springs are old and tired or wrong springs altogether

But the rod on the Bilsteins is visibly longer that the rod on the stock KYB Toyota shock when fully extended. Its about half an inch longer which is about the amount of play in the spring when fully assembled.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast