The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Final project - Barn find aero top

Swampy442

A couple of you know about this, and I recently sold my utterly stock VVTI TT, to fund this. Sad I sold the stock one but in a way I was kind of scared to take its stock-ness away, then it would just become 'any other modded Supra'

Its a car Ive been after for about 4 years now, I know the owner well, worked with him for a few years and always admired it from afar. But sadly he lunched the engine and since then its been sat in his garage, or 'barn' (air quotes) for a few years now. He might even be on here but not sure.

Anyway, to the facts - 93 aero top, TT, 6 speed manual. Same owner for 20 years, sort of off the radar I suppose, built in a time before Supra tax so we have glass headlights, we have a B03B diff and other cool bits that would cost an absolute fortune nowadays . Thats it. Plan is to finish the resto he started, throw an old 2JZ Ive got lying about in my garage into it, select a turbo solution (more on that in a bit) and drive it.

It arrives Wednesday but I went down today to sort money, pack some bits and get it ready for shipping to deepest, darkest Lincolnshire

Edited by Swampy442 (see edit history)

So turbo choice, it was built a long time ago, think it was 2002, and came with this interesting twin GT25 set up, I was planning to chuck a T51R on it but as its going to be a street car with maybe the odd track day (well at least 1 track day!) the twins might be a more flexibly option

Edited by Swampy442 (see edit history)

Awesome mate! Really keen to see what you do with this.

Is that another engine you have with the T51R on?

That single is the thing of legends sound wise. I've had my own turbo modded to sound like it.

What would the twins be capable of? Not a huge amount of information online about that twin setup.

Awesome mate! Really keen to see what you do with this.

Is that another engine you have with the T51R on?

That single is the thing of legends sound wise. I've had my own turbo modded to sound like it.

What would the twins be capable of? Not a huge amount of information online about that twin setup.

Yes that's another engine Ive got. Well the twins came from Owen Developments and are GT2560s, claimed up to 330hp each so possibly 600, should spool really well too. But I dont know if I want the drama of the big turbo, or the practicality of the twins lol

I think the twins would be a much nicer journey to 600hp through the RPM range lol.

I've always thought the 600hp on a single would give much better exhaust temps. But it does look a real nice, almost stock twin setup.

I think you have to try the twins. To see how they feel. There is a mass of information on how a single drives and feels. The T51R might feel a little laggy, being a 70mm wheel. I usually see 62mm turbo's pull 600hp as a comparison (I'm sure you do as well mate).

With both I mean COME ON! You have to try both eventually LOL! :cool:

Was it a gz model to start with or a n\a at the start of its life would you know! I'm only asking out of curiosity! As I have a gz areotop! Have you been in a areotop too!

I don't know, Ill have to check the VIN plate this weekend when Im home, it arrives tomorrow :)

Factory GTE car, with LSD. Lovely. Even has the knee pads, who remembers them?? Today spent an hour getting all the bits out all the boxes, making sure Ive got everything, found bonus stuff like radar detectors and laser jammers :D Swirl pot and big pump in the boot too.

As Jocks would say "taps aff" :D

If you don't want the drama of a single coming on boost, you can always have the tuner map the boost control strategy so you don't get everything at once and control the torque curve with boost and timing.

I did like my twins, but they were the HTA3071r, so a chunk bigger and newer than those. I got 1.4bar at 4500rpm, but positive boost started around 3000rpm.

If/when I do a Supra again, it'll be an EFR turbo, probably something like an 8374 and have it mapped to hold 500lb/ft as long as possible. Even with a 7000rpm redline, that's 665bhp. For a street Supra, you don't need more :)

Was it a gz model to start with or a n\a at the start of its life would you know! I'm only asking out of curiosity! As I have a gz areotop! Have you been in a areotop too!

Its a GZ aero top :) And no never riven one before but I'm about to lol

• 2 weeks later...

So, this weekend got the car on the ramp and started stripping and inspecting. On the whole very very good, previous owner has done a lot of work. Junk engine out and on the ramp it goes

Chassis looks perfect, only a bit of surface rust due to sitting in a garage for years, nothing a bit of love with a wire wheel won't fix

Big diff, check.

Things Craig likes, new bolts, new arms, new hardware, new suspension adjusting bolts, new brake lines.

Some aerotop specific scaffolding?

Any idea what this is? Im assuming its an aerial amp, strange location for it

Some Link plugin goodness also arrived, to power whatever turbo set up we choose :)

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update, engine is done, just need a welding bro to get rid of that fucking awful screamer pipe and re-route it back into the downpipe, bit of soldering for some Link sensors and thats ready to fit.

Had a bit of a think on fuel systems and decided to go in tank so going to get some Hodge hard lines and a twin pump hanger, cant believe the price of fuel pump hangers!

Found some unicorn shit, need to do some soldering and wiring inside because the previous owner snipped the active lip plug off and wired it into something else. Good news is the plug, wiring and ECU are all there so HOPEFULLY it should all work

Car as it sits currently, looks worse than it actually is

On the subject of fuel systems, found why the previous owner suffered detonation and blew up. Simple thing, maybe an error, 15cms of non fuel safe hose cost thousands of pounds of damage.

Hose was between the swirl pot and the pump, the pipe broke down and collapsed, the debris went in the pump, the engine got no fuel. Goodnight Vienna