The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best way to clean this up?

tayr

Hi all

Took the hideous veilside skirts off and it’s caked with grime underneath

I’ve got the top of the sills being resprayed where it has rubbed the paint off. Is it just worth getting the side of the sills done at the same time?

I’ve tried soap, cutting compound other various things. I did try a very small patch with meth spirits, although it took most off, I could tell rubbing anymore would take the paint off

D52A491F-E24F-4331-B97F-437281DFE7C5.jpeg

Edited by tayr (see edit history)

Engine degreaser is your friend here! Get a glue and tar remover, and an iron fallout remover too. Spray the degreaser and then agitate with a brush or microfiber, and then rinse. Repeat the process for the Fallout remover and then glue and tar remover. If theres any remnants left get a bit of clay bar to it (remember to keep it lubricated) that'll sort it!

Bilt Hamber Clay bar. Best weapon in a detailers box of tricks, literally lifts all unseen and seen contaminants from paintwork when used carefully and properly. Make sure it's only ever used after a proper decontamination process though or you run the risk of dragging larger contaminants through the paint rather than lifting the smaller ones

Thanks for all the tips guys - i did try a clay bar before but it did nothing.

In the end the suggestion of using bug and tar remover worked perfectly - got a brush and agitated it in. Got 90% of the muck off, still needs to be painted but at least it's not embarrassing to roll around in now lol

IMG_1145.jpg