The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on the GT86 / BRZ?

Wez

Hey All,

Just wondering what folks here think of the GT86 / BRZ.

Looked at two today, a facelift 2018 Pro which had much nicer dash cluster including lap timer built in and an older 2014 which was also nice.

Anyone here have owners experience?

Thanks

Anything to look out for?

Any downsides, what don't you like?

Done any track days in it?

Performance, how's it compare to an NA MKIV?

There are a few things to look out for

Cam cover oil leak - they used black sealer instead of a gasket. Common issue to leak!

Weak chassis battery. Original was 45ah and went flat quick if not used regularly, new version is 65ah. There was a recall on these.

Condensation in rear light clusters, very common issue. Mine has it!

Scratches on drivers door glass, caused by the window mechanism. Rare fault but mine has it.

Here is a link to the GT86 club, should take you to a thread for “what to look out for when buying a GT86/BRZ. https://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/forums/topic/5689-what-to-look-for-when-buying-a-used-gt86brz/

I can’t think of anything I don’t like, there are lots of modifications you can do. I’d like to go for more power potentially, forced induction with either a turbo or supercharger is the way to go. Up to 350hp is deemed the limit on stock intervals. But makes for a fast car when weight is circa 1250kg.

I raced a N/A auto supra at Santa Pod and it’s very close, I’d say the GT86 is a touch quicker though due to less weight. It’s worth bearing in mind that from the factory Toyota/Subaru quote 200bhp, they never make that on a dyno. They range between 175-190bhp!

I read that a remap on stock ECU and exhaust nets about 25hp and frees the engine up a bit.

Syvecs do a plug and play kit too :D

A company called Tuning Developments offer a N/A tuning kit that removes the annoying torque dip between 3-4K RPM. It consists of an unequal length or equal length manifold, over pipe, K&N panel filter, remap. With this kit fitted you can expect anything from 200-215bhp, but you gain around 35lbft in the midrange torque which I’ve heard from other owners makes it a completely different car to drive and is the best bang for buck. Price for the kit is £1500 drive in drive out. The price also includes a before and after dyno run.

Nice :thumbs:

Is the torque dip related to VVT activation?

I’m not to sure, it can be annoying if you get caught in the wrong gear as it just lacks torque. Can be mapped out though as I said, some try and map it out with the stock exhaust manifold still in place which improves it a little bit, but it’s still there. Best thing to do is to change the exhaust manifold and remap it.

I have a 2013 Toyota GT86 and have owned it for just over 2 years now, really great car! Not the most powerful car in the world but handles superb. It’s my daily driver aswell and fuel economy is good. What would you like to know? Hopefully I can help :)

How gay does the gt86 make you feel on the scale of 1- to - gay ?