The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Long time lurker...

Simo2007

Morning Chaps!

After lurking around the forums for a long time I thought it would be appropriate to say hello, I'm soon to be an owner of a J-Spec 1995 RZ TT6 in red :D I should be picking it up some time this week, excited is an understatement, this was a life long goal of mine!

I will update this thread with more pictures once it's in my hands, just trying to sort out insurance now.

Here she is:

Haha cool name too bud! Funnily enough they've come back at a good price on confused. I just need to sort out the agreed value part with them and I think I'm good to go!

welcome!

let me know how you get on re the agreed value - i am about to insure mine for the first time and need to sort this (also a tt6)

Thanks blythmrk!

tayr, just got off the phone with Adrian Flux and they do an agreed valuation for £15, all they need is some photos of the car and this needs to be done within the cooling off period of 14 days. Worst case, if they don't follow through I'll switch insurers. They have been the cheapest fully comp quote for me so far (£290) compared with Lynbrook (£360) and Sky (£780). I'm 99% sure I'll be going ahead with Adrian Flux.

I'm no fan of AF so you need to take that into account. Last year AF had a ceiling of £14k on a TT6 value, any higher it had to be independently verified - though they couldn't actually tell me who would be a suitable company or person to conduct the independent verification but did say they would need to recognise it as a reputable source. So you could spend out on a valuation report to then be told it wasn't from a source they recognised as reptable. AF will take your money, you could pay for agreed value of £35k if you wanted. They will take the money but its then up to you to provide a back up independent valuation at your own cost that they will accept. If you don't jump their hoops within a few weeks then you'll only be on their unverified agreed value limit which was last year £14k; even if you'd paid for £35k insurance cover.

I'm talking with insurers myself as my LV Classics policy falls due in the next 3 weeks. Following getting messed about by AF last year I am now asking insurers to pre-approve the valuation ahead of taking up their quote. I'll post up in the insurance section how this works out when I've completed the negotiations.

There are lots of useful threads in the insurance section, i'd say its second only in value to any member to the technical section of the forum. A couple of threads worth starting with are:

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?348828-List-of-most-recently-mentioned-insurers-on-here-(as-of-May-2018)

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?351357-2019-agreed-value-prices-following-the-market-upwards

Don't stop at these though, there are plenty of other useful threads in that section worth browsing through.

I'm no fan of AF so you need to take that into account. Last year AF had a ceiling of £14k on a TT6 value, any higher it had to be independently verified - though they couldn't actually tell me who would be a suitable company or person to conduct the independent verification but did say they would need to recognise it as a reputable source. So you could spend out on a valuation report to then be told it wasn't from a source they recognised as reptable. AF will take your money, you could pay for agreed value of £35k if you wanted. They will take the money but its then up to you to provide a back up independent valuation at your own cost that they will accept. If you don't jump their hoops within a few weeks then you'll only be on their unverified agreed value limit which was last year £14k; even if you'd paid for £35k insurance cover.

I'm talking with insurers myself as my LV Classics policy falls due in the next 3 weeks. Following getting messed about by AF last year I am now asking insurers to pre-approve the valuation ahead of taking up their quote. I'll post up in the insurance section how this works out when I've completed the negotiations.

There are lots of useful threads in the insurance section, i'd say its second only in value to any member to the technical section of the forum. A couple of threads worth starting with are:

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?348828-List-of-most-recently-mentioned-insurers-on-here-(as-of-May-2018)

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?351357-2019-agreed-value-prices-following-the-market-upwards

Don't stop at these though, there are plenty of other useful threads in that section worth browsing through.

Did you try with Sky? i Am looking to do AV through them and they have always been fairly good. Not sure how there AV process works though

Did you try with Sky? i Am looking to do AV through them and they have always been fairly good. Not sure how there AV process works though

I haven't talked to Sky for years as they were always very uncompetitive. With insurance you need to identify companies who will run with a personal write up on how good your car is, a couple of recent ads for overpriced cars and the walk around photo shoot. When companies start asking for independent valuations then you start to hit issues, it's not just the cost of generating an independent valuation report its where do you go? No insurer will tell you though occasionally it has been suggested a owners club valuation report/certificate could suffice. Many car clubs do offer valuation reports to their members to support their insurance cover, unfortunately the Supra Owners forum doesn't have a valuations function so that isn't possible here.

I can only pass comment on the companies I have knowledge with that are good to go with walk around shots, a good write up and a few recent for sales ads. They include both insurers direct and brokers; LV Classics, Hegerty, Lancaster and Classic Line. I'm sure there must be many more that others use that I have never contacted or discounted for various reasons (usually uncompetitive) but these work for me and I have insured my Supra through all of them at one time - all without the need for independent value verification.

Ended up going through Lynbrook in the end. Sky quoted me over £700 and AF seemed to be a waste of time when I phoned and they re-quoted me exactly double the online price. Really don't know what happened there. Footman James emailed me back and said they couldn't quote due to my age. Am I missing something here? I'm 30 years of age!

If you intend keeping the car stock it would be worth your while keeping an eye open for a stock set of wheels to buy as a spare set or even to put onto the car. The wheels are a big part of the stock look that collectors hanker for and I'd expect a £350 set of wheels today will likely add £2k+ to value in the coming years as most stock wheels got themselves binned or scrapped.

If you intend keeping the car stock it would be worth your while keeping an eye open for a stock set of wheels to buy as a spare set or even to put onto the car. The wheels are a big part of the stock look that collectors hanker for and I'd expect a £350 set of wheels today will likely add £2k+ to value in the coming years as most stock wheels got themselves binned or scrapped.

This was my intention rider! Definitely on the look out for some stock wheels! Wonder if anyone here has any for sale?

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to do some reading around the forums, and I'm currently debating whether to go BPU or just enjoy it stock and pull the engine over the winter and go single.

On the off chance, if anyone has any advice regarding a 550-650bhp set up with a quick spooling turbo, I'd be extremely grateful (or point me in a good direction). It seems as though a lot of the information is dissipated across many areas or dates to a decade ago (or greater).