The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any good products to remove light surface rust underneath the car

mplavery

Hey people

Bit pissed to be honest

So our new house garages we thought we’re perfect when we were viewing.

Back of the garden we have a single and a double next to each other with a door in between the two.. but unfortunately we found out there are issues with them

Long story short they leak and seem to hold the damp in well over winter

So beginning of this year I taken the car to work to see if it caused any issues

It had

A lot of surface rust manly on the front suspension arms

Now some say it’s nothing but it was spotless before

I’m buying a Carcoon ready for the winter time this year as I don’t want it to get worse until we build a massive new unit.

So this year is to clean up the underneath

My qst is, are there any products people used you can spray on without unbolting arms etc to get the rust off ??

Ignore what looks like a oil leak, I sprayed wd40 everywhere to to help

Stop it going further

Been on this forum for years and still can’t post a YouTube like right

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

First of all, it is almost mint under there, I'd say it's in the top 5 percentile of Supra's, but I get the desire to preserve it as much as possible.

This is my thread from a while ago where I concentrated on the rear rather than the front. I'm reading through it again to see what I used, but I do know that I did not end up slapping on any coating, just cleaned up the surface rust and used the rcf lube/protection stuff.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?344513-Under-body-cleaning&highlight=dinitrol

I will try and get some new pics underneath to check how that has gone, mine is outside all the time and driven in the salt occasionally.

- - - Updated - - -

First of all, it is almost mint under there, I'd say it's in the top 5 percentile of Supra's, but I get the desire to preserve it as much as possible.

This is my thread from a while ago where I concentrated on the rear rather than the front. I'm reading through it again to see what I used, but I do know that I did not end up slapping on any coating, just cleaned up the surface rust and used the rcf lube/protection stuff.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?344513-Under-body-cleaning&highlight=dinitrol

I will try and get some new pics underneath to check how that has gone, mine is outside all the time and driven in the salt occasionally.

Thanks mate, will check out your link later and yea if you could post up pics that would be great !

Yea it WAS spotless and just seeing that really peed me off. i know its not much but seeing what one winter in a crappy garage can do really shocked me. Im never planing on selling the car and want it as clean as possible so going to do my upmost to keep it as clean as possible

- - - Updated - - -

I spose it's bound to happen, that's chemistry/entropy for you :)

I think a clean up and surface rust treatment with phosphoric acid type fluid would be a first call. If you want to go with a underseal/dinitrol type coating all over I'd wait for the summer when you can ensure everything is moisture free.

I will try and take a few pics later. I did some bits in POR15 (heat shields), sprayed some other areas/parts with dintrol and some just with acf50. I expect I have some surface rust again after 18 months so should check it out.

At the rear, passenger side flat panel by the exhaust is worth checking, also up by the fuel tank neck/pipework, and area around the tow hook, exhaust hanger (this is not made of great quality steel and rusts easier).

• 2 weeks later...