The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alternator Rectifier

Mont

I've left my alternator in with a local fella to get rebuilt but he's having trouble finding a replacement rectifier.

He's heading off on Easter holidays this weekend and offered to either get me a new replacement alternator or keep looking for a rectifier when he returns in a couple of weeks.

I would prefer my original Toyota unit was repaired rather than get a replacement and happy to wait but are the rectifiers typically hard to get now?

Has anyone a part number for a decent (non-Chineseium) replacement that I can give him to help speed things along?

Edited by Mont (see edit history)

I've left my alternator in with a local fella to get rebuilt but he's having trouble finding a replacement rectifier.

He's heading off on Easter holidays this weekend and offered to either get me a new replacement alternator or keep looking for a rectifier when he returns in a couple of weeks.

I would prefer my original Toyota unit was repaired rather than get a replacement and happy to wait but are the rectifiers typically hard to get now?

Has anyone a part number for a decent (non-Chineseium) replacement that I can give him to help speed things along?

I had exactly this problem when I rebuilt mine. The main connection, a threadded stud on the TT one comes through the housing at an angle. I ended up buying a high power lexus recitifier pack, chopping the stud modifying it within the alternator housing. Wasnt pretty but worked well and has stood the test of time.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

I bought a replacement recently from ebay I think it was 183748814240 let me double check though (checked and yes it was this one, fitted to my 1993 RZ auto)......it was only just over £100 delivered and it's doing the job, I am repairing the original as a spare, as you'd think this one wasn't built as well given the price? (rebuilding bits will be around £100, I have got the rectifier I linked to as I haven't fully tested the old one yet, and got a cheap brushed and regulator from ebay uk.

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

I bought a replacement recently from ebay I think it was 183748814240 let me double check though (checked and yes it was this one, fitted to my 1993 RZ auto)......it was only just over £100 delivered and it's doing the job, I am repairing the original as a spare, as you'd think this one wasn't built as well given the price? (rebuilding bits will be around £100, I have got the rectifier I linked to as I haven't fully tested the old one yet, and got a cheap brushed and regulator from ebay uk.

Yes that looks like the rectifier pack you need, but I too couldnt find it here.

That replacement alternator looks a reasonable price to be honest and am very tempted myself. As my car has only covered about 3,000 in the past 5 years I would like to think it would be ok.

That replacement alternator looks a reasonable price to be honest and am very tempted myself. As my car has only covered about 3,000 in the past 5 years I would like to think it would be ok.

That's what I thought after looking around and seeing them at £300 I thought I'd take a punt as a stop gap at least while I repair the other one........I can vouch that it worked, just not how long it'll last. The US rectifier one comes in at £60-70 with shipping etc so held off that for now....

I think this is the one you need (states source was all I could find) it looks to have the bend you need that Shane had to modify his one to fit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ALTERNATOR-RECTIFIER-FOR-TOYOTA-SUPRA-TURBO-AUTOMATIC-TRANS-101211-7120-100A/291658929740

Thanks for all the replies :)

I ordered this replacement part from California so will give it a go and see.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update this, the rectifier only took a week to get to the UK, even with Easter inbetween. I got stung £22 for import fees though so consider this before ordering :(

It looked great and more importantly it fitted just fine. I've the alternator back in and so far so good it's doing everything it should be doing.