The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Red waring triangle with exclamation mark?

herbiemercman

Hi Guys my car would not start due to an imobiliser failure in the Cat 1 alarm system, called out the engineer he solved the problem after 2 hrs. He checked everything on the electrics and everything was working, BUT a red triangle popped up in the centre clock on the dash, see photo.

Does anyone know what this can be? My local garage owner said on some other Toyotas have a warning for the timing belt?

In my handbook it says it is a service warning, if it is then it has not appeared for 22 yrs since i have owned the car from new.

I cannot help thinking it is down to the work the alarm engineer did, but he was an experienced guy, and familiar withe Mk 4 Supra and he did not know what this could be. Any advice will be appreciated. Herbie.

RED TRIANGLE..jpg (374.4 KB)

RED TRIANGE..jpg

The centre one is not the brake level one iirc. See if it puts out a error code . But I think your correct it's definitely been caused by the auto electrician / orginal fault .

It could be what the imobizer was wired into and how the electrician over come it as the car could still be waiting for the input but it's been bypassed. Does the alarm / imobizer still work?

Did you use to come on when you put your key in and turn to when all the other dash lamps come on ?

Hi Guys, One of the best responses i have had to a thread, i thank you all.

With ref to the post from mellonman i cannot remember if the red light was on and then turned off when the engine started, lots of lights/symbols come on and i never picked any out unless, as now one stayed on.

With ref to the brake fluid level, i looked at the reservoir and it was full, BUT the NAT converters 3 yrs ago disconnected the plug on the side? maybe because they had experienced previous issues with the turbo etc and down pipe heating up the brake fluid, i made a shield with a ceramic board on one week after the car was returned from the NAT, i had no red light prior to this week and the alarm problem.

So is it possible that the disconnected plug has started showing a fault following the recent alarm engineer's visit?

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

I tried disconnecting the battery but no joy light stays on.

Decided to remove the black PVC tape from the two plugs that the NAT guys did, i plugged the small one back into the side of the brake reservoi, this did nothing, red light still on. The other bigger plug multi pin i do not know what this is? unless it is a standard loom for the TT models? as there is no where for it to go? (see photo). Anyone know what this plug is ? Herbie.

khttp://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=231576&stc=1&d=1554914744

multi.pin.plug.jpg

Will check mine but it could be a unused, cruise control or some such connector.

When you turn on the ignition do you see all the warning lights on the left/right, engine code, oil (red and yellow), airbag, abs, cat temp,door open er and whatever others?

Nothing on the front passenger seat, perhaps clip in all the seatbelts to eliminate that (it's hard to remember if no seatbelt activates the main light)

Hi Scooter, Yes all the various symbols / lights come on as always and they all extinguish when the engine starts, just the red triangle stays on.

I agree with you that the multi pin is for another model cruise control or some thing as you suggest.

I will try the seatbelt possibility today.

When i have eliminated all the possible things that could be causing the light to stay on i will have to ignore it, then may be one day it will reveal itself or another member may give another prognosis. Thank you for your help. Herbie.

This morning the handbrake light stayed on, i tried everything but no joy, so although the oil level in the reservoir was only one centimeter down i filled it to the top, the handbrake light went out.

I had given up on the red triangle and against my nature i put a square of black PVC tape over it.

I went out later and low and behold the red light had also gone out?

After a 10 mile journey the light was out, BUT came on when i arrived home.?

Went out later and the light went out when i started the engine and to date has stayed out.?

Just like "Brexit" i have had enough so if the F--king thing comes on again i will put the black tape back. Herbie.

Hi Scooter, Yes the foot brake reservoir, some times this kind of problem questions your sanity, when the auto elct/alarm tech was here and he could not figure out the red light, he actually kept trying the hand brake and the symbol for the h.brake went out all ok, then the day after i get the brake light symbol stuck on, added brake fluid and the light went out, but red light stayed on. The next day the red light went out?

I have not looked at any fault codes as i do not really know fault code test socket is and how to apply the paper clip? Thanks for your help. Herbie.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, For the past 2 weeks since the alarm tech sorted the immobilizer the car has cranked and started, so naturally i thought this was the end of the problem. NO, this week the car would not crank outside my local pub. Out of rage i just kept turning the key and after 10 tries it cranked and started.

So the immobilizer was a "Red Herring", i will start with the ignition barrel, then the relay, then the starter solenoid and finally the starter motor. I have also worked out that this only occurs when the engine is hot, this explains why the alarm tech was able to start the car after his work on it as the engine had cooled down.

So £100 up the spout for the alarm tech, (30 pints of Stella),however, this is the first time i had a problem and nearly been stranded after 22 years of ownership, so can't be bad. Herbie.

PS: The red light does not come on any more, must have been brake fluid level as one of you suggested.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

Ah I though you said it wasn't cranking? If it always turns over but doesn't start then it's not going to be the starter

If the ignition does nothing then it could be as they are know to need a refurb and one indicator is nothing nothing then starting, ie being intermittent