The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Red waring triangle with exclamation mark?

herbiemercman

Hi Guys, I just replaced the starter motor solenoid and copper contacts, car was cranking / starting ok, so i thought that was the end of the cranking problem, NO, after a week the same problem re-ocured, some times it would crank first time from cold, and some times second time, then when the engine had been for a blast and it heat soaked under the bonnet, it would not crank at all on may tries. If i returned to the car after one hour it would crank first or second time, so i could not blame the starter key switch as it is away from the engine's heat, so i investigated the starter relay. I ran a wire from the input lead on the starter solenoid and fitted a warning test lamp, this showed that the power supply to the solenoid was intermittent, after removing the relay and shorting it out problem solved, need to replace the relay.

This component is hard to find it is a 'Denso' made in Germany and it is refered to as a 'self timer relay', still not sure what that means? it has a 40 amp rating on the secondary. There are quite a few Toyota relays available on line but the exact one i have might be a problem? however it is the physical plug in profile that might be the problem, so i decided to order the nearest match and if it will not plug into the box, then i can run four wires from the male amp tags and locate the relay outside of the relay box.

This is the third problem i have dealt with post my 'NAT' conversion based on the significant extra heat emittence from all the extra pipe work etc, especially the down pipe, turbo,and manifold. The first problem i had was the brake servo cooking, so i made some aluminium/ceramic board baffles, i then after changing brand new Bosch batteries twice in 12 months, i investigated and ambient temperature is very important to the life of the battery, i had to place a louver in the bonnet above the battery, amazing how much heat comes out when you park up. I made some enquireies and the third problem is the relay which does not like too much heat. I hope this info helps other members who have gone down the 'NAT' route, also the problems with the heat soaking is a slow one for the heat fatigue to show itself. May be this is why some members fit 'over run' fan units? Herbie.

Edited by herbiemercman
added extra text. (see edit history)