The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mapping

jimmy1985

Hi

It's a single gt 35r turbo with ID 1000 injecters and yes it's an auto. The ECU is a Wolf v550. It has been installed and mapped but I'm really not happy with the map so as I should of done in the first place is to ask you guys first

Thanks

James

Where was it mapped?

Who mapped it?

When you say you aren't happy, what aren't you happy with?

What does the AFR say on and off boost?

Has it been fitted and mapped as a standalone ECU controlling the gearbox and engine or piggybacked with the OEM ECU still controlling the gearbox?

What power are you running?

Have you done anything to the autobox?

I don't think I have ever heard of that ECU being fitted to a Supra on here but that isn't to say it's not up to the job. Full standalone ECUs I know of that are successfully controlling the autobox are Syvec & MoTeC for the J-Spec A340E and UK Spec A343E. For the tiptronic A343E (?) its only on a Syvecs but the MoTeC M150 would be up to the job if you wanted to pay for the R&D to be done.

Full standalone ECU forum favourites are Syvecs, Link, some run AEM, Apexi Power FC, HKS and a very select few MoTeC because of the cost. But the best is always expensive.

Piggyback wise it's pretty much GReddy E-Manage Ultimate or Blue but these are old tech now and not many map them. AEM do a nice piggyback but I don't know anyone running that.

Take a look here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?129455-Supra-ECU-Register

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Ryan has moved to pastures new I am afraid, he has become an honorary Arab oil sheikh in Dubai. By this I mean he now lives in Dubai and maps for the oil sheikhs :)

Also, if you want to answer the questions I asked above there are lots of members on here that will probably chime in to try and help.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

It was mapped at tuning developments by a guy called nick. They fitted the single turbo with a e-mange ecu which I was happy with but my friends were going standalone(not with supras) with this unit so I thought I would follow.

They have shortend 1st and 2nd and it boggs going into 3rd which sharp gear changes. It has stalled on me twice when coming to a stop but holds idle at 1500.

The AFR is 12.7 off boost I think but will have to double check. Not sure when on boost

It dyno'd at 580 at 1.5 bar

The standalone unit is controlling the engine and the auto box as they have give me the oem ecu back. Not done anything with the auto box and just has a aftermarket cooler as I changed the rad

The wolf is the latest one they do and as they said they knew that ecu I didn't look at anything else.

I have heard of most of the ecu's you mentioned and maybe should have gone with them.

I'm no expert, so I apologise if I come across like I don't know anything, plus writing this on my phone is not the best ha ha

I have had a quick look around and couldn't see anything bad mentioned, not publicly anyway. Have you spoken to them about the issues you have? If you have what did they say? Did they offer to sort it out?

Getting the gearbox mapped well on these cars isn't an easy job, which version of the autobox are you running? J-spec, UK spec or tiptronic?

I certainly wouldn't be driving it with the conditions you are describing.

Did the auto box get a full flush and new filter before going single? Ideally you would want two coolers depending on size and an inline thermostat too to help regulate the fluid temperature in the box.

What is your torque figure?

Do you have a power run printout you can post up?

No problem re the help :)

Is this them?

Unfortunatly they had it for 14 months and I really don't want it gone anymore as I think they have done what they can with it if they have had it for that long.

I don't really know of or heard anyone mapping a auto. It's a j spec.

Yeah royal purple fluid and filter has been done. It did make a difference. I'll invest in another cooler as I have heard someone mention they need 2.

I'm waiting on the dyno print out as I don't really know myself what the figures show. I know on the e-manage it was 560 hp and 550lbft off the top of my head. As soon as I get it I'll post it up.

Yes that's them. I havnt had any issue when they mapped it on the e-manage.

I'll try and get the dyno print out today

Thanks again

James

14 months?! What were they doing for 14 months!

I'll PM you about mappers later :)

How big is your cooler and what size are the lines?

You also need a inline thermostat and a temp gauge wouldn't go a miss either. Too cold is just as bad as too hot and in normal driving conditions a large cooler with no thermostat WILL keep the fluid too cold. Slippage in the torque converter and on the friction faces of brake bands and clutches is what will cause heat. A higher stall converter adds a LOT more heat. A deeper gearbox pan is also a good addition as it will allow you to hold more fluid and Lucas Oil Transmission Fix Stop Slip comes recommended too.

Depending how the torque comes on I would image your are very close to the limit of the box i.e. :bang:

The Emanage would have been piggybacked to the OEM ECU, so it would have controlled the engine whilst the OEM ECU still controlled the box.

I always recommend joining this group on the forum - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?groupid=57 if you have the autobox, also it would be worth speaking with our guru DavidP regarding his upgrades to save your box - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/member.php?25493-David-P

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Grammar. (see edit history)

You are going to kill that box in no time . Go back to piggy back of use you standalone ecu just to do engine tune not the gearbox. The stock control has a soft change map which limits the torque at gear change this is done to save the gearbox from the harsh gear changes which will strip the clutch packs . Even the well known supra standalones have issues with controlling the auto and with your power you are on the limit and with it mapped as it is your on borrowed time.

So to keep the car still nice to drive and be as fast as it can be just let the stock ecu control the autobox it will save you so much grief and your gearbox will last longer .

If you still have the emanage put it back in and you shouldn't have to remap if the setup is still the same

large cooler with no thermostat WILL keep the fluid too cold.

Not strictly true mate, that's what the heat exchanger is for in the bottom of the OEM auto rad, to maintain a minimum temp. Then on the UK specs you have an extra rad in the passenger side bumper to cool the autobox fluid, without a thermostat fitted as far as we could see. So it just stops it getting too hot.

The OE temp stabiliser for ATF is always a good thing to have, but fitting an additional large cooler without a thermostat to manage it, would inevitably result with running ATF below optimum temp for much/most of the time.

Well that’s how the UK car came out of the factory, and the box is still going 25 years later, and the stock cooler is quite big, with no thermostat we’ve found. As long as the temp is kept above the minimum by the heat exchanger in the rad, then I guess that’s how Toyota meant it to work with the big cooler.