The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A bouncing idle and high revs

tomwright

Hi guys, below is a link to a quick YouTube video of my 1994 j-spec n/a auto supra which has a problem with a bouncing idle and high revs when put into gear. The car has had a full new ignition system including distributor cap and rotor arm, ignition leads and spark plugs all from Toyota as well as a new battery. I have also swapped ecu’s with my friend but the problem is still the same, I have also replaced and set a new TPS and cleaned my throttle body and IACV.

I am going to look at the speed signal wire from the odometer as the tach needle is a bit wobbly and it reads a speed in between mph and kph for instance at an actual 30mph it reads 40mph. I am led to believe a bad speed signal to the ecu can cause high revving and bouncing idle.

Does anybody have any ideas off the top of their heads as to what this could be? Any help is much appreciated!

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/V-U6F_a2L-c

GE engine has MAP sensor, not MAF.

A worn throttle body won't cause idle difference between P and D.

Check that the Throttle Position Sensor is set correctly.

Check the closed circuit oil breather system; hose not split and the valve functions correctly.