The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Should I?

MLC

I've owned a UK spec Supra 19 years now. The Interiors seen better days, the blitz Z1's need a refurbishment, unique bodykit is pristine, however. Ultimately the UK's are getting sought after and I don't get to use the old girl much and when I do i'ts most certainty not for the intended purpose. I am seriously wondering if the 'ole girl deserves a better and higher budget owner than I can provide. she costs me less than 1k year to keep on the driveway waiting to arse-milla an M5, I guess the 'Real' question is, am I too old to bother anymore, should I make way for the up an coming generation that appreciate these cars how I once did.

There are a few of us who have grown old with the cars who don't do the miles they once did in their Supra, so long as you can still stoop in and roll out then its still a fun drive.

These cars though, especially driveway cars, are starting to get the full on rust bug on the rear end underside so unless you have a rare one that hasn't got anything untoward going on you may as well seriously consider moving it on as it will likely need some serious money spent on it some time in the not too distant future. Its always easier to sell while the market is on the rise so its a good time for anyone seeing to cash in and you'd likely get back pretty close to what you paid for it 19 years ago. If you retained any of the original pre-body kit parts they will add lots of value to.

PS - Took my Supra out for a drive today for the first time since taking it off SORN and it was good to be back in the drivers seat. Maybe the cars just need to be driven more to be enjoyed more? That said, I've just finished giving it a polish, then wiped the brake dust off the wheels and put it back under its dust sheet till next time whenever the next time happens to be.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

I would say unless it's a needs must sale,hold on to it.I have had N/A Supra's which I now wish I had held on to.If you have something that means a lot to you then keep it,i have a guitar I nearly sold when times were tough but now have owned it for 40 years boy am I glad I never sold it.

It's not proper custom candy anymore. Had a woman back into it a couple of years ago and after a 22 month fight the old girl got resprayed in the new mazda soul red (production candy). It's not as nice as house of colour but not too shabby. If only the insurance company had argued further It would be in the latest mazda red which is darker an much nicer. sod's law. To answer an earlier question, I bought the car at 72k, so I've done 133k behind the wheel, 5+ times around the world and every receipt down to the last wiper blade. Failed me once cos I didn't tighten up the battery terminal enough, so a whole 10 min delay that time and impromptu hand signals on the dual carriageway.

Breezed through an MOT again... I'm determined to get some use out of her this year and have managed over a hundred miles this year already. There's not many things on this planet without silicone implants that put such a smile on my face as this but none with such a low yearly outlay ;).

BTW, what's the guitar formatzero?, Sunburst Fender Strat here. Always wanted a Gibson electric blue but out of my range now :(

It's not proper custom candy anymore. Had a woman back into it a couple of years ago and after a 22 month fight the old girl got resprayed in the new mazda soul red (production candy). It's not as nice as house of colour but not too shabby. If only the insurance company had argued further It would be in the latest mazda red which is darker an much nicer. sod's law. To answer an earlier question, I bought the car at 72k, so I've done 133k behind the wheel, 5+ times around the world and every receipt down to the last wiper blade. Failed me once cos I didn't tighten up the battery terminal enough, so a whole 10 min delay that time and impromptu hand signals on the dual carriageway.

Breezed through an MOT again... I'm determined to get some use out of her this year and have managed over a hundred miles this year already. There's not many things on this planet without silicone implants that put such a smile on my face as this but none with such a low yearly outlay ;).

BTW, what's the guitar formatzero?, Sunburst Fender Strat here. Always wanted a Gibson electric blue but out of my range now :(

Hi mate,it's a 76 Les Paul custom in wine red,gigged it for many years but now as i'm getting on a bit I find it mega heavy these days, so using an SG,still to get a Strat :)

• 1 month later...

The way I view this problem is that imagine you sold it. Then say for whatever reason you wanted to buy another, you'd immediately regret the previous sale and would have a hard time finding another in similar or better condition without paying the inevitable premium inflation on supras.

If you can honestly say you'd never want another or could accept the future prices/rarity of a good example then sell now.

Hopefully the parts going back into production will keep the maintenance costs affordable and help keeping cars on the road instead of being broken.

Better the devil you know, especially if you've got a lot of history.

The way I view this problem is that imagine you sold it. Then say for whatever reason you wanted to buy another, you'd immediately regret the previous sale and would have a hard time finding another in similar or better condition without paying the inevitable premium inflation on supras.

If you can honestly say you'd never want another or could accept the future prices/rarity of a good example then sell now.

Hopefully the parts going back into production will keep the maintenance costs affordable and help keeping cars on the road instead of being broken.

Better the devil you know, especially if you've got a lot of history.

I have this question at times, especially having two, but what can you get to replace them, the values have gone up sure but so have lots of other older cars and there is still little that grabs me as an overall package.

To anyone not using theirs, why? dust it off and use it, do something or go somewhere you've not been before, or tinker/tlc with it. If after that your interest still wanes then I think it's perhaps time to let it go, it you can't find the enthusiasm for it then you can legitimately question if it's worth keeping.

To anyone not using theirs, why? dust it off and use it, do something or go somewhere you've not been before, or tinker/tlc with it. If after that your interest still wanes then I think it's perhaps time to let it go, it you can't find the enthusiasm for it then you can legitimately question if it's worth keeping.

It probably is a case of getting it out and about a bit more. When i took my car over to get its alignment some 60 miles from home which is a long way for the car these days, it's amazing how much other people get joy out of seeing a Supra out and about. I had one young guy wind down his window alongside me at a roundabout telling me to take good care of the car with it being a real classic icon. I had a good number of thumbs up from drivers coming the other way. Then at the B&B I stayed at, the son of the hosts said they get loads of Porsche owners staying (attending the same chassis tune place I was visiting the next day), there was even a 911 GT3 there the week before but he loved the Supra. Sat in it, drooled over the 2JZ and said it was the best car to have ever parked up at the B&B. That's high praise coming from a Scooby owner.

Boys of all ages love the Supra. That's why I take the MGB roadster out lots, the ladies absolutely love that car.

It probably is a case of getting it out and about a bit more. When i took my car over to get its alignment some 60 miles from home which is a long way for the car these days, it's amazing how much other people get joy out of seeing a Supra out and about. I had one young guy wind down his window alongside me at a roundabout telling me to take good care of the car with it being a real classic icon. I had a good number of thumbs up from drivers coming the other way. Then at the B&B I stayed at, the son of the hosts said they get loads of Porsche owners staying (attending the same chassis tune place I was visiting the next day), there was even a 911 GT3 there the week before but he loved the Supra. Sat in it, drooled over the 2JZ and said it was the best car to have ever parked up at the B&B. That's high praise coming from a Scooby owner.

Boys of all ages love the Supra. That's why I take the MGB roadster out lots, the ladies absolutely love that car.

It's surprising how much enjoyment comes from seeing other peoples appreciation of the Supra. It appears to have a big following of all ages, male and female.

I use mine at weekends and the odd Friday to go work in. I use it for holidays in the Lakes or weekend drives locally to Leek, Buxton, Shrewsbury etc. I also get lots of thumbs up from other cars, motorbikes etc.

I get lots of admirers coming asking questions about the car when it's parked up and asking if they can take pics.

I past one the other day in the daily and it gave me a mini buzz, like the Gayden anniversary meet, seeing one when in yours, convoy etc is nice®. I've not followed a Supra in ages, need to get to the Basingstoke meet one month.

Just thought I'd add my 2pence worth here, I been in same boat over years and almost let mine go few times, main reason was lack of use also the running cost a fair bit higher over here in Ireland insurance road tax can be up to 3k a yr. I had good long think bout it and came to conclusion why store put away something or sell (unless finances forces) something that we truly love and cherish, I love my daily driver gs 250 f sport and on city center local errands etc is my choice, but I know if supra wasn there anymore I'd be deeply unhappy, the feeling these cars give you on longer motorway b roads is mind blowing at times, I guess what I'm saying is any long term owners true enthusiast supra lovers( not these investment wanna be car dealers) give yourself a month of forcing yourself to use the car on daily basis even short trips etc, you will either fall back in love or know it's time to let her go. As regard problems with the car in the 15+yrs of ownership apart from normal service items, I had to put clutch and have the calipers recently refurbished that's it, the only gripe if you call it that is I feel these UK specs or export spec should have came bpu as standard.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I think just sell it. I was in the same boat 6 yrs ago had a supra twin turbo 6 speed. Owned it for 9 years in the end just didn't use it enough. My only slight regret is seeing how much it would be worth now. But it's only money and I've been able to free up space and buy other more modern cars. The car would hopefully go to a collector with a huge collection.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.