The mkiv Supra Owners Club

the dreaded clicking noise

peter richards

• 2 weeks later...
just wanted to move the car out to give the garage a clean , c tek showing all green but nope nothing , so not sure whats going on with the c tek not had it long , stuck it on charge for half an hour and just about fired up ,

I had the same problem with my CTek, I have stopped leaving it on trickle charge and only charge my battery once per week by using the CTEK plugged in to a digital plug in timer. I had to buy a new Odyssey battery as I believe the CTek killed it although it was showing fully charged it only managed a small click on the starter.

I have also bought a Bluetooth battery monitor, it is permanently connected to battery and voltage can be checked with the app on my phone.

https://www.batterycharged.co.uk/shop/special-offers/battery-guard-6-v-12-v-24-v-bluetooth-1274386.html

Edited by markssupra (see edit history)

I had the same problem with my CTek, I have stopped leaving it on trickle charge and only charge my battery once per week by using the CTEK plugged in to a digital plug in timer. I had to buy a new Odyssey battery as I believe the CTek killed it although it was showing fully charged it only managed a small click on the starter.

I have also bought a Bluetooth battery monitor, it is permanently connected to battery and voltage can be checked with the app on my phone.

https://www.batterycharged.co.uk/shop/special-offers/battery-guard-6-v-12-v-24-v-bluetooth-1274386.html

Have you set the CTEK charger to AGM mode? The Odyssey batteries need to be trickle charged in that mode to prevent overheating. Mine cracked it's top a while back, can't be sure if the charger was to blame though.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?346957-Twin-boot-batteries-in-parallel

Have you set the CTEK charger to AGM mode? The Odyssey batteries need to be trickle charged in that mode to prevent overheating. Mine cracked it's top a while back, can't be sure if the charger was to blame though.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?346957-Twin-boot-batteries-in-parallel

Yes definitely in AGM mode, my charger is the MXS 3.8 and it only has 3 modes. I did switch between the Normal battery program and the Cold weather program when it was on trickle charge until

I noticed that my battery tray was moist and smelt acidic, not good for inside the car. So I bought a new battery and now only charge for 24 hours once per week, enough to keep it topped up.

I doubt any trickle charger would kill a battery unless it got stuck on max charge and boiled all the electrolyte away, and you'd expect to notice that. The CTEK lights show the rate of charge and a knackered battery wont take or hold charge so the unit may be fooled into thinking job done all lit up. I've tried to resurrect several dead fencing batteries with the CTEK and it'll show fully charged on a duff battery. the only thing I've noticed with duff batteries is it'll take a short time to get full lights whereas a normal battery will usually take getting on for 24hr to get where it needs to be.