The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Weird Honking Noise heard from intake

JamesV72

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and would like your help please.

Youtube link below is the noise my Supra is making. Its a 2JZ-GTE and recently I had turbo flutter which is now gone as I have changed its BOV. But this noise remains while driving and can be heard the loudest when the accelerator is released. While revving the engine it can be faintly heard but seems to disappear over 3000rpm.

Has anyone had this problem or heard of it before? And what is the cause of this funny (at first) but really annoying noise.

James

Maybe - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?352691-Moaning-Supra!&p=4292002&viewfull=1#post4292002

E2A

As an FYI those filters are know to be terrible, contact Chris Wilson (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/member.php?54-Chris-Wilson) on 07971-952084 or [email protected] as he sells a replacement filter that will help keep you engine alive.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Maybe - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?352691-Moaning-Supra!&p=4292002&viewfull=1#post4292002

E2A

As an FYI those filters are know to be terrible, contact Chris Wilson (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/member.php?54-Chris-Wilson) on 07971-952084 or [email protected] as he sells a replacement filter that will help keep you engine alive.

Oh ok, I wasn't aware of that issue with that filter. Thanks mate for letting me know! Out of interest though, what issues does that filter cause? anything I can check or look out for that is caused by this filter?

I filter is not the best at filtering basically, lets far more dust etc through it than stock filters or even other aftermarket types, promoting early wear internally.

It won't create the honk (I think that's the reed valve in the linked thread) but it will make it more noticeable as the filter isn't as good sound insulator as the standard box.

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I asked about this issue that was on my car. Just had the chance to sort it out recently and want to say thank you to all you guys for pointing me in the right direction and providing info if I didn't know about! Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

If pictures load correctly, the reed valve is located at the back part of the engine on the exhaust side on the 2JZ-GTE sequential turbo set up. It is found on top of a part called an "Intake Air Control Valve" and this part is bolted directly on the second turbo and has a rubber hose clamped on the outlet side.

The reed valve is between two gaskets (part code for gasket 17315B) that are identical and the whole assembly is held down by four nuts on top of the intake air control valve. To get at it easier you might need to undo or loosen the solid airline above to make it easier for access.

Once you removed the four nuts you can attempt to undo 2 screws that hold down the reed (which is the thin piece of metal) which I attempted and snapped both screws... If someone else knows how to do this ask them. I just ordered a new one in the end. New reed valve part code 17305. Double check before ordering! It is simple to know which way to put it back on, but to reassure yourself take pictures.

I cant say for sure what you might need to undo for easier access, as I undid the whole solid airline above (apart from 3 rubber hoses that were attached at the back which were a struggle to get at) so I could take the intake air control valve assembly off so I could give it a good clean (which was harder to get to). Nuts and bolts had to be undone in very tight and hard to reach places, I think there were one or two bolts that I found round the back clamping down other pipes that aloud me more movement and once removed made it a little easier to get at the bolts on the second turbo.

Do not Attempt to remove the intake air control valve unless you are confident that you can take off and put back on the nuts and bolts. And yes it was difficult to put them back on! Patience is required and do not rush if you are a novice like me, and a magnet on a long stick will help.

Plus a new turbo outlet gasket would help.

Putting it back, put the new gasket on second turbo first. Next the intake air control valve needs to fit in the rubber pipe, which connects to the other metal pipe going towards the inter-cooler, and then place the control valve back on the turbo.

Make sure at all time that the turbo is covered with like a rubber glove! If you just undo the top of the control valve to get to the reed, put the lid back on while you are doing other things.

recommended things - torch and a telescopic rod with magnet

IMG_9808.jpg

Reed Valve Top.JPG

toyota part numbers.jpg