The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT advice please

sidewaysdan

Evening all . After some advice

So I’ve just put a deposit down on a 4 year old suv for my wife.

They put a new mot on it today the fist time it failed. Only on light adjustment but had quite a few advisers some of which are very concerning.. but then passed with just the lights being adjusted.. should they have fixed these advisers.. bought from Land Rover main dealer ..

Pics of mot

Edited by sidewaysdan (see edit history)

Guest Budz86

One thing to point out to them is you are not happy to buy a car that has a possible brake related issue and due to the corrosion, failure of the pipe is possible. I'm surprised they are happy to sell it with those things listed tbh. I'm guessing it's an independent garage and not a main dealer? If it's a main dealer take it up with their brand customer service team too as it's their reputation on the line.

I would not be buying the car even if they did repair it, speaks volumes if they were willing to let it go with those issues. Begs the question, what else is/could be wrong with it that’s not picked up by an MOT. If it is a Land Rover, that list could be long.

As already said, spend your money on a Volvo.

- - - Updated - - -

I would not be buying the car even if they did repair it, speaks volumes if they were willing to let it go with those issues. Begs the question, what else is/could be wrong with it that’s not picked up by an MOT. If it is a Land Rover, that list could be long.

As already said, spend your money on a Volvo.

The fuel leak is a bit worrying as well...no "obvious" sign sounds like they've shone a torch around the area and moved on. It must be getting out somewhere

Strictly speaking it's all legal and may just be a picky MOT tester. But I can understand your frustration due to the nature of some of the advisories

To be fair, they are only advisories and every MOT is dependant on the inspector so a different inspector or garage may pick up different things or non at all.

Reference the brake pipes, it literally states corroded, covered in grease or other material.

They will say this if it has been undersealed or has excessive dirt/grease.

Because they can't inspect it fully, it becomes an advisory.

These could be nothing at all and if the inspector thought it was an actual problem, it would be a fail.

Why didn't they replace the offside front brake hose, on the MOT it says - repair as soon as possible - and they haven't

Typical piss poor service imo which far too many do purely so they make more profit

The amount of MOT's i've looked through recently bares this up

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest Budz86

It's also illegal to rectify any failure item during the test so when it failed, why not replace the front brake hose and wipe/clean the brake pipes before retesting it? You can't wipe the corrosion away but it gives you a clear picture as to what you're working with. They've sent a car out the door with a brake fault that is 'repair as soon as possible'. Do they expect the new buyer to pay for this before they collect the car?

It's also illegal to rectify any failure item during the test so when it failed, why not replace the front brake hose and wipe/clean the brake pipes before retesting it? You can't wipe the corrosion away but it gives you a clear picture as to what you're working with. They've sent a car out the door with a brake fault that is 'repair as soon as possible'. Do they expect the new buyer to pay for this before they collect the car?

/QUOTE]

Just a possibility the dealership applied the grease knowing it would just get an advisory :innocent:

MOTs are a bit of a farce really. Yes you would like to think that something dangerous will be picked up and potentially save lives and I like to think that happens, but otherwise they can only be taken as guidance really. One tester's opinion on whats a fail, pass or advise can vary so much compared with another tester. Plus as many Supra owners know certain things that should be a fail become invisible at times. But, imo the brake chaffed brake pipe should be replaced before the vehicle is sold, as someone has said the tester says repair asap. The rest are advisory items and the car is safe and legal.

My colleague recently bought a Mitsubishi Outlander from a main dealer in Hampshire, just before he finalised the deal it had it's first MOT and came back with 2 tyres near legal limit as an advise. The dealer totally refused to change them because it was an advise, despite being a £20k car.. He got in touch with Mitsubishi UK customer services and they basically went with the dealer. I told him to walk from the deal but it was the spec of car he wanted and had been looking for for ages and he took it on the chin.

Not sure i agree with them being a farce, some things are definitely not that great but one done

correctly does give you more of an idea about cars condition, way better than nothing at all

It's saved me buying several cars that had shed loads of advisories that appeared to never get fixed

which does help build a picture of lack of love from previous owners

So I’ve spoken to the garage and told them I’ve seen the mot.. they were surprised I could see mot history lol .. and they said Mot is not done in-house . And they were aware off all advisers and all part would be replaced back in the workshop .

Also they do a 165 point check before the Car leaves the showroom.. they also told me that the brakes had come up on their check and all the discs and pads would be replaced.. as part of this process along with anything else that dose not meet their standards..

so hopefully this will all be done . I’ve also asked them to send me a copy of the job sheet of all works carried out.

So I’ve spoken to the garage and told them I’ve seen the mot.. they were surprised I could see mot history lol .. and they said Mot is not done in-house . And they were aware off all advisers and all part would be replaced back in the workshop .

Also they do a 165 point check before the Car leaves the showroom.. they also told me that the brakes had come up on their check and all the discs and pads would be replaced.. as part of this process along with anything else that dose not meet their standards..

so hopefully this will all be done . I’ve also asked them to send me a copy of the job sheet of all works carried out.

Will they also use OEM parts? When I bought my V70 it was from a franchise Volvo dealer, they replaced certain parts and never used OEM.