The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Suspension

MrBerkshire

Hi Guys

Can any of you give me some advice regarding the rear suspension please

Basically all of it is original and so all of it is quite rusty now, so im considering changing the lot, arms bars bushes and bolts etc (dont know the proper terms sorry) the cars a Jap NA and completely standard so i dont need anything uprated for track use. I have the exploded parts drawings with the original part numbers but i dont know where the best place to get it all from is?

Any help would be much appreciated

Graham

Why change them because they are rusty?

You only need to change them when the ball joints and bushes fail. If those are all good then why not just take them off, get some new nuts and adjustment cams and give them a good clean up, prep and paint? That'd be much cheaper than replacing the arms with either OEM or aftermarket items. If you want to prep a set ready to fit Ric has a set on Facebook up for sale that he says are in great condition. Paint those up all nice and black and swap over with yours. Then you could paint them and sell your old ones on to cover the cost of Ric's.

Or you could change them for new if you want to restore the cars suspension to as new. That would entail sway bars, drop links, frame bushes and new shocks being part of the ever more expensive package though.

Seeing you are also in Shropshire you are welcome to bring your car over to mine and stick it up on my ramp to have a good poke around underneath and then think about whats best from there if that'd help. I've spent the best part of £10k on parts replacing loads underneath so it can kind of run away unless you have a clear goal in mind.

With the availability of parts slowly drying up, it's at the stage now where it may be worth while picking these sort of things up if (and only if) you're seriously committed to keeping the car for a long time to come.

I renewed everything suspension wise last year as well and am glad I did it. My rear end was completely seized solid and the anti-roll bar was off center so at the very least it needed bushes and ball joints refreshed.

If its all original and never been touched i'd put a small bet that some of the eccentric adjusters

will be seized and very hard to remove without cutting them, i'd also guess some of the rubber

bushes will be in a poor condition along with the ball joint covers.

When was its last MOT ? any advisories

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)