The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T 420g Manual Supra (Engine Build)

Nathanj1142

NOTES (15/09/21).

the NA-T build is tuned and 'done' (for now). This thread outlines the majority of work, which I carried out mostly myself. The thread begins from when I purchased the car and all the iterations between.

The car made 480hp at the wheels with 469ft/lbs of torque.

ENJOY!

Been lurking on the forums for the past few months, and been actively looking for a na 5spd.

I finally found a car after Kendo11 contacted me via the forums and after a few weeks of conversation and visits, the car is now mine and am very happy :) I plan to take over his build thread, and put my own twist on the car.

Here's a few photos i've got over the past few weeks. I'd like to also thank Ken for helping me cover the cost of a tyre that was utterly destroyed after i got it home.

I'd like to go na-t and get about 300-350 bhp (as this was enough in my old car). I've also been considering a supercharger build to be 'different'.

Kendo’s build can be found here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?299600-Kendo-s-Ridox-Rep&highlight=Kendo

DSC_0318-55.jpg

DSC_0318-56.jpg

DSC_0318-57.jpg

Edited by Nathanj1142
adding photos into thread (see edit history)

Did a service when i got the car, pretty substantial oil leak :( We think it might be the o-ring between the oil filter housing and the block. Still need to investigate where its coming from, but its not too much to cause worry. I'm looking to get a oil filter sandwich plate so i can run an oil pressure gauge in-place of the MAP gauge that i currently have - killing two birds with one stone.

https://imgur.com/a/mUA3u7Q

IMG_32ee51.jpg

I replaced the gearbox and diff oil with Fuchs Titan Racing 75w-90

The engine oil was Castrol Edge Fully Synth 5w-40.

I got a genuine fuel and oil filter from Toyota, with a new sump washer.

A new cone filter from halfrauds, £20.

Also got a new Sony apple car play stereo. The previous owner had a small single DIN stereo in the arm rest compartment, that was brilliant, but i wanted map functionality in the front dash, so i rerouted the cables, and refitted a double din stereo in the stock mounting configuration. The stereo sits a bit deep for my liking so will need to take some time to pull it out a bit, and also fit the microphone so i can use Siri :)

Also need to invest in a DAB antenna so i can use that functionality, also maybe a reversing camera and dash cam in the future??

https://imgur.com/a/zOd4Go6

IMG_3251.jpg

Ordered a stock wing off someone on the forums, alongside some steel wheel nuts and paint to redo the bumper and wing, after having a little incident on a grass verge when getting a photo :(

https://imgur.com/a/toU6fuc

IMG_3251 copy.jpg

Edited by Nathanj1142 (see edit history)

Got the new wing test fitted today. Thanks to BadBoyz00700 for speedy delivery :). Needs a bit of paint though...

kb.jpg

asdasd.jpg

also invested in some steel wheel nuts. Previously had alloy ones on and I was told to get rid of them asap as they're just waiting to strip...

ass.jpg

The wing looks great, but some of the paint on the boot has cracked and flaked due to me removing the old one. Time for the boot to be resprayed now aswell :rolleyes:

I also found that the interior light no longer works, presumably a connector or wire I've pulled out when fitting the stereo. Will need to investigate when it comes back out for the antenna and microphone.

I also rerouted the DEFI gauge controller to in the passenger footwell, it was previously in the stereo area in a single din pocket. I used some velcro strips so that it sticks to the carpet. (This is only temporary until i find somewhere more discreet)

asdda.jpg

Thats all for now.

Did a service when i got the car, pretty substantial oil leak :( We think it might be the o-ring between the oil filter housing and the block. Still need to investigate where its coming from, but its not too much to cause worry. I'm looking to get a oil filter sandwich plate so i can run an oil pressure gauge in-place of the MAP gauge that i currently have - killing two birds with one stone.

https://imgur.com/a/mUA3u7Q

[ATTACH=CONFIG]231266[/ATTACH]

I replaced the gearbox and diff oil with Fuchs Titan Racing 75w-90

The engine oil was Castrol Edge Fully Synth 5w-40.

I got a genuine fuel and oil filter from Toyota, with a new sump washer.

A new cone filter from halfrauds, £20.

Also got a new Sony apple car play stereo. The previous owner had a small single DIN stereo in the arm rest compartment, that was brilliant, but i wanted map functionality in the front dash, so i rerouted the cables, and refitted a double din stereo in the stock mounting configuration. The stereo sits a bit deep for my liking so will need to take some time to pull it out a bit, and also fit the microphone so i can use Siri :)

Also need to invest in a DAB antenna so i can use that functionality, also maybe a reversing camera and dash cam in the future??

https://imgur.com/a/zOd4Go6

[ATTACH=CONFIG]231267[/ATTACH]

Ordered a stock wing off someone on the forums, alongside some steel wheel nuts and paint to redo the bumper and wing, after having a little incident on a grass verge when getting a photo :(

https://imgur.com/a/toU6fuc

[ATTACH=CONFIG]231268[/ATTACH]

Hey Nathan!

Great to see that Kendos Supra is still around here on the forum!

As for the oil leak - my Supra had a similar leak (although slightly less then yours) and it turned out to be the o ring between block and oil cooler (yes that filler housing is called a cooler by Toyota :) ).

As for the reverse camera I would highly recommend one. I have one since last year (a zenec unit for that OEM look and great quality) and don‘t regret it at all. Makes reversing much more convenient.

Regards, Herb

Hey Nathan!

Great to see that Kendos Supra is still around here on the forum!

As for the oil leak - my Supra had a similar leak (although slightly less then yours) and it turned out to be the o ring between block and oil cooler (yes that filler housing is called a cooler by Toyota :) ).

As for the reverse camera I would highly recommend one. I have one since last year (a zenec unit for that OEM look and great quality) and don‘t regret it at all. Makes reversing much more convenient.

Regards, Herb

Hi Herb,

I presume i can't replace the cooler with the sandwich plate then? or does that go between the block and the 'cooler' without an o-ring?

Nathan.

Hey dude

The supercharger route is definitely different and also comes with many challenges. David P is the man to speak to if you want guidance. Of course the Supra in itself is a rare car to see around. So don't let YouTube or boy racer stories of 1000hp put you off installing a turbo for horsepower you'll be happy with.

Great to see the car live on with someone new.

Hi Herb,

I presume i can't replace the cooler with the sandwich plate then? or does that go between the block and the 'cooler' without an o-ring?

Nathan.

I think the sandwich plates are in addition to what's already on the car ie the cooler section.

Oil leak 'could' also be the oil pressure sensor, but then the oil would be front bumper side of the housing, up behind the aircon compressor.

Hey dude

The supercharger route is definitely different and also comes with many challenges. David P is the man to speak to if you want guidance. Of course the Supra in itself is a rare car to see around. So don't let YouTube or boy racer stories of 1000hp put you off installing a turbo for horsepower you'll be happy with.

Great to see the car live on with someone new.

I am still really interested going down the turbo route, i think 1000hp is ridiculous, and like i say i'd be happy with 300-350 as thats what i had on my old car and that was scary to drive with modern traction control!

the cost of the full conversion (including ECU, catch can, clutch, tune) is sort of putting me off for the time being, i've looked at the XSPower stuff, but still don't know if its worth risking the engine and gearbox. The fact that i freak out at every little knock and shake i don't think its a good idea until i get used to whats normal haha!

I think the sandwich plates are in addition to what's already on the car ie the cooler section.

Oil leak 'could' also be the oil pressure sensor, but then the oil would be front bumper side of the housing, up behind the aircon compressor.

I will have to have a proper look, at the minute im just keeping an eye on the oil level and topping up.

Thanks!

Quick addition to the thread:

Spoiler is attached. Went to APS Paint Supplies in Hull and picked up a jar of 199 silver to redo some bits on the car and the wing, and my friend sprayed for me.

Spoiler still needs a cut and buff to get it smooth, but having it on for now :)

It was a really weird colour, like a coral green, and after we sanded it down in prep, we realised it had been 3/4 different colours. It looked pretty cool though I have to admit.

colour.jpg

My friend reckoned it was on a drift car of some sort, as there was a team in the UK that had them colours, and the paint job was shoddy. Any suggestions? :)

My friend painted it for me. Here it is in primer:

57565199819--0C0A68D7-D72B-4E20-BA6D-23AA6C74005E.JPG

I also picked up some genuine boot protectors, as the ones that were on it were knackered.

soiler.jpg

wing.jpg

Hi Herb,

Nathan.

Hi Natan,

The cooler goes to the block just as it comes from the factory. The sandwhich plate goes between cooler and oil filter.

Regards, Herb

• 1 month later...

Been quiet on this thread for a while, as i've been driving the car rather than working on it in this nice weather.

Invested in some BC Racing BA-RM coilovers, really nice setup. Did opt for the pillow ball topmounts, and was expecting adjustable camber plates on the top (not realising camber is adjusted on the wishbone on these cars).

Made a start on them, and my friend did most the work. All in all took around 3-4 hours as we was just messing around really.

555.jpg

we also copper greased everything to stop it seizing if we needed to adjust them in the future.

444.jpg

I set the car to stock ride height at first, with 2mm of preload and 10 clicks down from hard on the dampeners.

222.jpg

333.jpg

I drove the car for a bit, checked to see if i was getting any excess wear on the front tyres from incorrect toe angle, and left the car overnight.

I got impatient and wanted to slam it...

dropped the back and it sat nicely at first, then did the same on the front... Although looking awesome, the fender bolts holding the wheel arch were catching, and i couldnt physically get off the drive.

777.jpg

Brought it back up 10mm, and adjusted the dampening 4 more clicks harder.

Pretty happy with how its sat at the min, will prob drop the back another 5mm, and harden the dampening on the back as its a bit too soft still for my liking and tends to squat too much when i accelerate.

Before and after:

999.jpg

I will be putting the bilstein shocks and springs up for sale on here soon, but by the looks of it will need new boots and springs.

Going to get the camber to how I want it on the front and then will get a 4 wheel alignment :)

Nathan.

Edited by Nathanj1142
Formatting (see edit history)

Looks great as she sits right now!

Did you install that Sony headunit that can be seen on one of the pictures as well? If so - I have the same in mine - it is a great unit.

I did combine it with a Zenec rear view camera. To be honest one of the best mods I did on mine.

Looks great as she sits right now!

Did you install that Sony headunit that can be seen on one of the pictures as well? If so - I have the same in mine - it is a great unit.

I did combine it with a Zenec rear view camera. To be honest one of the best mods I did on mine.

Hey Herb,

I had to bring her up 10mm as I was just catching everything, not as much tuck but still nice and aggressive :)

I installed the sony head unit yeah, scratched it after taking out the trim and caught the back of the 12v adapter on the screen :angry:

I'm looking for a reversing camera, so i'll look into that. Did you mount it just above the number plate?

Nathan.

Finally got round to doing the spark plugs, picked up a Halfords 200pc advanced set which came with spark plug sockets :)

IMG_9230.jpg

The old ones were very dirty! Glad to get these out but its the first time I've done plugs on a car so, had fun trying to get that done.

I used NGK Iridium, same as the ones that was in there before.

IMG_0679.jpg

Also picked up a Tamiya model to mess around with, first time doing any sort of model like this. (Thought it was worth adding to the thread)

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_7717.jpg

• 1 month later...

She died!

So was driving along the other day, car's EML light came on.... Then went off.... then came on. I was concerned, as I've never had any major problems up until now so assumed the worse lol.

I gave Picoto a call, and he said could be fuel pump as he had similar issues before, he said to use the OBD1 port to diagnose what's going on.

Went to go top the car up with fuel to eliminate any poor fuel pressure as I barely had anything in the tank. I gave her a quick boot in 2nd to see what happened and she bogged out at about 4k. I also noticed the light was coming on at about 3-3.5k revs, then turning off again below that rev range.

Used the diag port in the engine bay to see what codes I had, I believe it was 12, 24 and 25. The car was still running but start up felt a little weak. I think 25 was something to do with the a/f ratio being rich/lean, so while checking the ECU, I installed the stock ECU as currently running a MINES system.

Few coughs and she was idling okay, but the light was still there even after resetting the codes by pulling the EFI fuse.

Okay, so it wasn't the ecu... reinstalled the mines and it wasn't having any of it! the car would turn over, burst into life then cut and die. This instantly made me think it was fuel related, as I normally have to prime the fuel pump before starting the car and the same thing happens if I don't prime initially. I found the operator diagnostics handbook here on the forums (sorry can't remember what thread it was on), and it pointed to the distributor circuit, so could possibly need the contacts cleaning up if they've corroded or something.

Left it for the evening, then the next day came and had another look with a clear head. Just happened to brush over the connector going to the distributor, and noticed the cables were badly perished and the grounding wire came off! I assume this meant the ECU was freaking out and cutting the car off to protect itself as it couldn't get a strong signal, and the EML light was coming on and off as it gets a signal and then not a signal. Got a mate to hold the cable and she started no problem.

Found the part number on the connector, 90980-11150, and got one on amazon for £12.

Friend is coming to mine this afternoon to replug it for me, as I haven't the faintest with that stuff.

Will keep the post updated!

• Nathanj1142 changed the title to NA-T 420g Manual Supra (Engine Build)