The mkiv Supra Owners Club

IT Experts I need your WiFi advice please

Noz

Hi all,

so a random one for you this evening. My parents own a property that has a road separating them from their garden, at the end of the garden are the stables. I'm setting up a CCTV system so my parents can see the horses.

I'm unsure the best way to transfer signal from the stables up the garden and across the road.

I was thinking to use a WiFi extender across the road to the small outbuilding opposite the house (it's a medium-sized road nothing too mad) and then ethernet cable down the garden. But I've found some wireless systems that might be better attaching to the house high enough, I'm just not sure really. Any advice?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Waterproof-Installation-Controller-EAP110-Outdoor/dp/B01N4EGN6H/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Never tried one of those, but have used a lot of tplink stuff in the past and have worked fine. The theory is good, if it doesn't work then revert to the other plan using the tplink on the small outhouse. How many meters are the stables from the house? If you go the other route the maximum ethernet cable length is 100m unless boosted with a switch.

Edited by Annabella
Must have had brain fade not 30m!! (see edit history)

If you can run a length of cat 5e/6 up there directly, you can run to a maximum of 100m before the signal will break down and it will need boosting. Couple that with a poe camera and a poe injector at your house and you will be laughing if you don't have power in the stables.

If you can run a length of cat 5e/6 up there directly, you can run to a maximum of 100m before the signal will break down and it will need boosting. Couple that with a poe camera and a poe injector at your house and you will be laughing if you don't have power in the stables.

/QUOTE]Failing that you could look at some of the ubiquiti point to point wireless stuff maybe if a direct lan connection isn't possible?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

If the stables and the house are on the same mains meter than its a simple solution to use DLAN plugs. You just plug an Ethernet port off your router into a DLAN plug and then any other DLAN plugs on the same ring mains will have network access and internet through the router. I have that setup for my detached garage/up stairs home office.

If you have separate mains meters than you need to go for a network wifi bridge. That requires a access point and transmitter terminal, one plugged into the home router and the other into a second router in the outlying buildings. Plenty for sale on eBay and loads of videos on youtube how to set these up. The only requirement is line of sight between the two units.

Getting my dad to measure the estimated distance today!

/QUOTE]

100m is pretty far. Seems a good idea to use a PoE camera that would be ideal really. Best way to jump the Wi-Fi across the road to the Ethernet cable?

If the stables and the house are on the same mains meter than its a simple solution to use DLAN plugs. You just plug an Ethernet port off your router into a DLAN plug and then any other DLAN plugs on the same ring mains will have network access and internet through the router. I have that setup for my detached garage/up stairs home office.

If you have separate mains meters than you need to go for a network wifi bridge. That requires a access point and transmitter terminal, one plugged into the home router and the other into a second router in the outlying buildings. Plenty for sale on eBay and loads of videos on youtube how to set these up. The only requirement is line of sight between the two units.

I'll do some research into a DLAN plug. That sounds interesting.

I’ve got WiFi working over 1.2km so you should easily be able to do what you require..... it might be worth putting up a simple diagram showing distances and heights, if you mounted a WiFi dish on the house you should be able to pick up that signal in the stable block..... what you need to consider though are the obstructions, such as trees etc.... PM me if you want

Rob