The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SORN - painless

rider

For the first time i put the Supra on SORN last October planning to retax in the Spring on a 6 month ticket. Seems from the 'how many left' site that about half of Supras are on SORN these days and having put mine on SORN it's something I wish I'd done it earlier, as in years ago, as it just doesn't get used in winter. It'll be off for its MOT in May with maybe 200 miles since the last one. Since doing a lot of expensive work on the car with a great amount of new Toyota parts fitted I find I'm reluctant to actually drive it. Its turned into a proper garage queen that gets dusted down and polished nearly as many times as it see the light of day. Time was I'd rack up 12k miles a year in the car but that was a long time ago.

From the lack of Supras on the roads and how quiet it is here on forum you could imagine that there are very few Supra Mk4 drivers left? Adverts citing a lack of use seem to be a very common theme amongst sellers these days. SORN though, I'd recommend it for anyone considering it. I still get to start the car once a month and it gets put back into the garage after a quick reverse up the driveway as clean as it came out.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Still have both insured and try and use up their insurance mileage allowances......sounds to me like you need to plan a road trip Rider?

Refreshing the suspension and then not enjoying it seems bonkers!! :D A respray and it being kitted and lowered and I can see you being more precious/concerned, but not the general underpinnings surely :)

To be fair if you get enjoyment from it away from driving then why not SORN and tinker.

I think other social media is more to blame for the quietness than people not driving per se although I accept its a factor, the older they get the less can be/are driven.

I have a road trip planned for May but thats in my MGB Roadster. The wife loves that car so we do head off in that for a few days of A and B road touring every year. I have been looking longingly over the last couple of years at treating the Supra to a Cannonball Europe run but that's deep pockets £6k for a few days. I might gift it to myself when I retire after grabbing a lump sum out of the pension pot.