The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rads and intercoolers

jot_ie

Hi All

I am looking at replacing all radiating panels at the front of my car, It's a 98 tt 6spd.

Unfortunately Toyota no longer stock the OEM Radiator or Air Con Condenser Panels.

I also need a new Front Mount Intercooler

Any recommendations on the best ones and where to buy greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

I was hoping for one with the piping as a complete kit. Mine was an old Greddy 3 row, and I don't think my piping will fit with the Mishimoto unfortunately, but many thanks anyway

Edited by jot_ie (see edit history)

I brought a few OEM condensers in from the USA about 18 months and sold the surplus to the one I have retained for myself for £140. They were £600 from Toyota. Anyone bringing one unit over today will probably be looking at close to £200 or in Irish Euro250; still way cheaper than Toyota. Don't forget to buy a drier at the same time, they are around £35. And some ND8 oil as you'll usually have close to 75ml of compressor oil sitting in the drier and condenser that'll need adding back when fitting new components.

I'm after an AC condenser as well. Changed my intercooler last year and next year when I do the belts and pump I was going to do the complete front end including the heat exchangers. Already have the radiator.

Maybe a group buy?

I'm after an AC condenser as well. Changed my intercooler last year and next year when I do the belts and pump I was going to do the complete front end including the heat exchangers. Already have the radiator.

Maybe a group buy?

Its important to buy a drier and compressor oil at the same time and they are, as well as the condenser, much cheaper in the USA than here in the UK. I ended up buying the three components from three different sources and consolidating for surface shipment from the US. So if the group buy were to be set up by someone looking to source a condenser for themselves its advisable to seek out retailers to add the other essential components up front.

The Denso made ones from the USA are fine and seem just like the OE ones, I have fitted a few. I agree, change the drier at the same time and all O rings. Then wait for the evaporator to go and the dash having to come out ;) Old Sod's Law...
:)

:D:D:rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth.

Yea whenever I have changed condensers I have always changed the driers when separate along with system o seals and I get a man to recover the fridge gas then Pressure test, dehydrate, add new oil and charge with fresh refrigerant.

Luckily I am fgas qualified but don't hold the equipment anymore so let a professional fridge engineer do the gas work.

I feel an order to the USA coming on if you recommend those denso units Chris.

- - - Updated - - -

The Denso made ones from the USA are fine and seem just like the OE ones, I have fitted a few. I agree, change the drier at the same time and all O rings. Then wait for the evaporator to go and the dash having to come out ;) Old Sod's Law...
:)

:D:D:rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth.

Yea whenever I have changed condensers I have always changed the driers when separate along with system o seals and I get a man to recover the fridge gas then Pressure test, dehydrate, add new oil and charge with fresh refrigerant.

Luckily I am fgas qualified but don't hold the equipment anymore so let a professional fridge engineer do the gas work.

I feel an order to the USA coming on if you recommend those denso units Chris.

The drop in replacement for R134a refrigerant is 2,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene or to give it its R its referred to as R1234yf. The introduction of R134a was as an alternative to R12 which was an ozone damaging CFC. Now the HFA 134a is being phased out because of its impact on global warming for the new refrigerant that is in relative terms, has 95% lower global warming potential. The good thing about the latest drop in refrigerant (R1234yf) is that it uses the same class of lubricants as R134a in car a/c systems; PAG's. The not so good thing is R1234yf is nowhere near as soluble as R134a is in the oils currently used in R134a systems; this means the compressor oil will need to be changed to maintain optimal performance. If using propane or butane (which was the R12 replacement in fridges) then the compressor oil needs changing to a mineral oil product. So either way, one flammable (so it'd never get OE approval for car application) and one not it looks at minimum it'll be an oil change required for systems moving from R134a to an alternative refrigerant.

The watchword being is stock up with R134a while stocks last. Some background reading for anyone remotely interested in this subject area.